Demo Site

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Weather issues, decorating, Jake

I had high hopes of getting some little things done on the apartment in the evenings through the week but last night was not as profitable as I had been anticipating. It was cold and getting colder by the hour when I got home and it took some time to say hello to Mama and drink a hot cup of tea before going back out.


When I did go out I only had about an hour of good light left – sunset is at 5:30 pm) and the temperature was already at 36 degrees. I had to get out the tools I needed and make some measurements for square and plumb before anchoring any of the walls. I ended up getting one anchor in at one corner before I needed a tool I could not find. I did get something done, but not much. By the time I put the tools away it was dark and the temperature was nearer to 30 degrees. It got down to 18 degrees over night.

Mama spent the day making cookies. I guess the colder weather made her feel homey. When I got home the bed was still unmade and she was dressed in some sweats she had pulled over her pajamas. It was obviously not a day she was planning on getting out; or at least not getting off of the farm.

She did go out with me to get Victoria when she got off at 7 pm. We needed to find a star or some type of tree topper. I had stopped at Lowes to pick up some lights for the tree since I rescheduled the delivery of our stuff until later in the month. They were almost completely sold out but I did find several stands of multi colored lights that would work. (All of our decorations are in storage in Bartlesville, OK and I am trying to delay long enough to get a roof on the shop – where we intend to off load the truck when it does come.)

Mama bought a couple of clip on decorations for a dollar each to make up a tree topper since all of the lit ones were about ten dollars and looked cheesy. We did string the lights and put together a topper and Grandma put candy canes on the tree also. It looks pretty good but it is short of what could be on it if our things were here.

Rain is predicted for this weekend, which is why I delayed the arrival of our items in storage. I did not see a way to get them out of the truck into the dry without a great deal of maneuvering and I worry about the truck they will be bringing to make the delivery. Semis do not do well in our driveway when the ground is softened by rain. I am hoping this Saturday will be a dry day so Grandpa and I can build the trusses for the roof and get the ceiling joists in place. Then we will be ready for the roofing – and for the delivery of our stuff.

Jake called last night and he and Mama talked for some time. He found out Mama has an iPhone so he went around the house taking pictures of their pigs, goats, dogs, cats, his mom and dad, etc. He practically flooded Mama’s phone with pictures. Then they had to review each one. Today Mama is supposed to take pictures of all the animals on our farm and send them to Jake. Those of you who know Jake know how this works. At eight years old, he is hard to keep up with.

He asked Mama the name of the little filly we have. Mama reminded him her name is Misty. He told Mama he needed to come back to the farm because he was already forgetting the names of the horses and dogs we have here.

I have a feeling they are getting geared up for a visit next summer.

0 comments:

Post a Comment