Demo Site

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Windy conditions, visitation and construction, Maggie and Aaron

The wind was blowing at about thirty miles per hour all day yesterday so despite my best intentions I did not get to work on the siding for the shop. It is nice to have the materials right there. It is frustrating to not be able to assemble the pieces where they belong. I did not get to work on the building Saturday because of rain and the fact that there were nine sheets of materials I do not need for the shop on top of the materials I do need. I bought the metal Grandpa needs to roof a loafing shed he is building and those pieces of metal were banded separately and put on top of the painted pieces I ordered for the sides of the building.


The rain kind of dampened all of our plans for work to be done. Besides it was cold with the rainy conditions. We are not complaining about the rain. We need it too badly, but I do lament the fact that I seem to get set back by one thing or another week after week. I will eventually get done but it may be Labor Day before we get to move in. The grandkids are dealing with the wet conditions pretty well. At least they have the concrete shop floor to run their trucks on while the ground dries out.

Since it was raining I went to bus visitation with some men from the church. It has been far too long since I have gone out witnessing. It is amazing how quickly those skills fade when not in regular use. Mama, Cori and the kids went to Lowe’s to build some crafts that the store has set up for children. I think it happens on a very routine basis because Cori and the kids were very familiar with the program. They built some goofy bird whose jaw would open and close by squeezing the handle of the contraption. I was hoping for something more mundane and useful; like a birdhouse.

Mama told me the real fun was in watching the three of them, Mama, Cori and Victoria, who are not so adept in assembly, aid the little ones who had no clue what they were supposed to do, get the pieces into place and attach the slide that moved the jaw. Two were broken beyond recovering and had to be replaced by the store attendant. Two left the table in working order but did not stay that way for long. One never got finished. I think that one was the one Mama was helping with.

Maggie called Mama yesterday to tell her that the movers had come and that she and Aaron would be able to leave for the farm this morning. At least, I think that is what I understood her to say. Grandma and Grandpa are excited to see her and Aaron. Grandpa has remarked several times that he has not seen them since the wedding. I don’t remember him and Grandma being at the wedding but I have slept since then. Maggie will remember.

The younger Ledford’s will only stay one night at the farm. They are on their way to Juneau, Alaska where Aaron will report for his next assignment. On the way they are going to stay a day or two with Aaron’s parents in California. I am not sure exactly where his father is stationed at the moment but I do know they will see some beautiful country on their way to points north; especially along the coast of California, Oregon and Washington.

I need to get Mama over that way some time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment