Demo Site

Friday, April 5, 2013

Interviews, livestock, time crunch

Yesterday was a very late day at the office for me. I left just after 5 p.m. That is not a bad time in and of itself, but I had been at the office since before 6 a.m. that morning. It was a long and busy day, most of it occupied with meetings – some more productive than others. The last meetings were in reference to a candidate interview and the follow-up discussion to that interview. I have two more such interview to do today and the three of us doing those interviews are hoping today’s candidates are more qualified than the one last night.


Since I have been I this position I have interview about ninety persons and it amazes me how a potential candidate can, not necessarily misrepresent themselves, but be so thoroughly unprepared to discuss what they have indicated as a proficiency on a resume. Such was the case yesterday. This was a very nice gentleman, retired after thirty six years at a refinery, but unable to articulate highlights of his resume The job we are filling requires a quick study with a head start because there will be a steep learning curve no matter who is selected to fill the post. I was disappointed for him.

Grandpa is not enjoying the cold in West Virginia but he and Seth have endured it daily to get some things done so they will be set up for some jobs they are starting next week or the week after. Grandpa is excited to hear about the rain we are getting here. It means that there will really be a chance of getting some hay to put up this year; if the donkeys do not eat it as fast as it is growing.

We separated Misty from the donkeys last night and opened up the upper meadow to the older calves we have. There are three calves out on pasture and four little bulls in the stalls still getting the bottle twice a day. One of the three on the pasture is a steer to be butchered. I am not sure how much he weighs but I would guess it to be about five hundred pounds. The other steer is about half that and the one heifer is about two hundred pounds.

We still are nursing one heifer along but I think we will not be able to save her. Her sickly constitution has kept her from gaining weight and thereby strength. From her breathing is looks like she is fighting another respiratory infection and all that we have done and continue to do is not enough to get her whole. I will be surprised if she makes it through the weekend. I have been called upon to out her down but wanted to take one run at getting her healthy.

I will have to leave the office very early today to get the things done that I have on my plate for this afternoon. I have three stops to make before 5 p.m. and one of them is in Gainesville, TX about an hour from the farm. Two are closer to the farm but none of the businesses I need to get to are open tomorrow. It is either today or one evening next week. With the weather we have predicted for next week I am hoping it is today, but we will see if that works out. I would certainly like to use the materials this weekend.

I have to admit that it is a lot easier to coordinate things like I have to do today when Grandpa is there to share the load. It is not impossible without his help but it s far more challenging.

One of the ladies who works for me has a small white board that she posts pithy expressions on each day. Today she had written; some people talk so much trash it is difficult to know whether to offer them toilet paper or a breath mint.

0 comments:

Post a Comment