Demo Site

Monday, April 1, 2013

Lots of movement, building updates, Easter

Aaron and Maggie made it safely to the farm on Wednesday evening. We left them in the company of Grandma and Grandpa for the evening while we went to church. It was a good chance for them to visit without the distractions of the grandchildren in the house. I am not sure how much Grandpa engaged in the conversation but I do know Grandma enjoyed it.


The next morning Grandma and Grandpa left for West Virginia and Aaron and I worked on completing the east side of the shop. I cut the pieces and he attached them to the structure. We were done with the metal on that side by about noon. He was a great help to me. We worked together until it was time to pack the car for him and Maggie to head west. They left about 2 p.m. headed for San Diego where his parents live. I believe they are headed north to Alaska today.

On Friday we had guests over for an Easter egg hunt on the farm. The smaller children in that family enjoyed the freedom of the farm and the rewards of the plastic eggs they found. I think it was Grant who found the Golden Egg. Inside was a piece of candy and a dollar bill. I fired up the grill and cooked some meats for lunch. Mama made macaroni salad. It was some of the best she has ever made. The kids ran around while the grownups talked. I worked on the north side of the shop. By the time our visitors left, I had it pretty well complete. Mama and Cori were impressed since most of the metal on that side was in fourteen foot sheets.

When I got up Saturday morning I started on the south side of the shop. It was then that I discovered that I had cut into three pieces of the remaining five while I was trimming a sheet of the metal siding to fit around a window. They were not long cuts and the uppermost of the stack got it the worst so I pulled them off and used the unharmed ones to start the south side. The two that were the most damaged I had to cut to fit the east side of the apartment. The unintended cuts were about a half inch above the length I needed for the front of the apartment – the east side. Even in our mistakes God is good. Using two pieces on the front of the apartment did allow me to complete one exterior corner – trim and all.

I have more metal ordered to complete the siding. Fro some reason I shorted myself by thirteen sheets. It will be in Thursday so Mama and I will go to get it either that evening or Friday. It depends on my schedule at work. This will be a busy week since I am participating in interviews for a job we have posted here. I will have visitors in the office for the latter part of the week who will be making the hiring decisions for that job so I will be busy but it makes the days go by quickly.

Rain is expected from Tuesday through Thursday with totals running from one to three inches depending on the forecast you choose to believe. The large openings on either end of the shop have me a little worried because of the amount of water that can get into the building from the wind driven rain, but there is only a limited amount I can do to combat it. Winds will gust up to thirty miles per hour at the height of the storms – that is rough on a tarp stretched over a ten by ten opening. I suppose it will dry out at some point.

Easter Sunday was great. I helped in Children’s church. Mama sat this one out because her knee is hurting to the point that walking is painful for her. We set out several hundred eggs. They were gathered by children ranging in age from one year old to eleven or twelve. Everyone got their basked filled. It was fun. We even got pictures before the grandkids had destroyed their Easter outfits.

Nate is heading to the farm today.

Chase proposed to Makaila on Sunday. We are still waiting on her answer.
April Fool. She said "Yes"

0 comments:

Post a Comment