Demo Site

Friday, October 4, 2013

Meeting nice people, weekend plans


I got the chance to meet a very nice Highway Patrolman this morning. I was close to Bowie and I never make the speed limit (75mph) in that old ranger pickup, much less exceed it, so I was not sure just what had piqued his interest. It turned out that the lights that should have lighted my license plate were not working. The ticket he gave me was a warning only since my driver’s license, registration, inspection and insurance were up to date. I will add those lights to the growing list of items to fix.

Mama called a realtor yesterday. She is the same one that worked with us when we bought the farm two years ago. We are very interested in the market value of the property we now own because it will determine the cost of any other properties we might desire to purchase. That will not happen until next Thursday but by that time perhaps we can get a few things cleaned up around the place and really make it look nice.

Grandpa and I are going to install the garage door he bought in West Virginia this weekend. We will get the lumber needed for the project today and hopefully get started this evening. I will also close up the opposite end of the shop so we can have things sealed up before winter. Both of those projects should add value to the shop building since they will make it look more complete. I will have to throw away one of the two tarps that have been in service on the ends of the building since the wind and sun have pretty well taken it to the end of its useful life; but they worked while we needed them.

Last night I finished the refitting the cabinet I have been working on. I will stain and urethane the raw edges tonight and we will put it in place in the kitchen tomorrow. I need to get it out of the way so Grandpa and I can work on the garage door at the north end of the shop where I have the cabinet staged. Mama is excited about the cabinet since it will have five very large drawers, an open shelf large enough for her mixer and several other items, and a two door cabinet on the top. It is, after all, an eight foot tall cabinet.

Mama is coming to town this morning to babysit for one of the ladies who used to be in the church. Her husband took on the youth director position at another local church and the ladies of that church are getting together for a retreat. Mama will get the two girls off to school and keep the three year old until their daddy gets home later today. Of course her proximity dictates that I take her out to lunch today.

Sunday we are going to have to stay in Decatur through the afternoon. We have accepted parts in the Christmas play and there is going to be an initial reading of the play at 3:30 that afternoon. Since we do not usually make it home much before 1:30 any given Sunday afternoon, it may not make sense to travel to the farm and back in that short a time frame. We will see how that plays out.

Mama already misses her nap for that coming afternoon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment