Demo Site

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Rain, minor repairs, packing up, babysitting, play practice


We finally got rain. Through the day yesterday we got 3.25 inches of rain. More was expected last night but I could not tell this morning if it had rained or not. We did have a couple wet areas in the shop so I spent the first part of my evening at the farm getting a place sealed up on the corner of the roof where the taller part of the shop structure joins the shorter part. I will know if I got it the next time the rain blows in from the southeast.

The garage door seems to have held out the rain but I will know more the next time we get a storm from that direction. Grandpa and I still have to adjust it to make it operate properly and I am hoping we can get it done before he and Grandma leave for West Virginia. They are starting to pack up right now and are thinking about leaving next Friday. That is the day Mama and I are planning on coming back from our trip to Houston, Victoria and Chappell Hill.

Mama and Grandma will be busy today. They are watching a three year old little girl and her big brother - four years old. Victoria met with a couple last night at the McDonalds in Bowie after reading an add looking for babysitting help. Victoria thought the position was one that would allow her to quit Wal-Mart and go into this fulltime. That is not how it turned out.

The couple works as a team on the pipeline crew laying transmission lines for the oil and gas industry. While they are in this area they are looking for help with the children so they can work full time. Victoria could not say no and Mama and Grandma backed her up on it. She is picking up the children each morning at 6 a.m. and keeping them until the parents get them at 6 p.m.

So far everyone is excited about it. Time will tell if they can keep up the pace. From what Mama was able to gather last night from speaking to the mother, they will be in this area through the end of the year, but that is not a certainty. Over the next couple of weeks we will be able to tell if this is an arrangement that we can work through with the intent of helping out this young family – and Mama making a little bit of cash to get her dogs with. It is something I prayed for but I was not expecting this.

Mama and I have to leave before the parents arrive this evening because she has play practice at the church tonight. She is not overly excited about it but I am thinking she will warm up to the idea at some point – when she applies herself to learn the lines. She only has eight lines in the opening act, but she is still terrified about doing it.

It is fun to see her stretch out a little. When we get into things like this is when I start to think again that it would be nice to be closer to the church, but my timing is off by a little on accomplishing that.

We will see how God works that out at some future date.

0 comments:

Post a Comment