Demo Site

Monday, October 14, 2013

Rain? Trade Days, beaten by a door, going to the dogs


After preparing for rain since Friday it finally arrived this morning. The forecast is still for several inches of rain but I will believe it when I see it. From the reports I was hearing on the way in this morning all the heavy precipitation has already fallen and caused flooding and other problems in areas south of us. We will be happy with whatever we get but we could use a lot.

Victoria, Grandpa and I went to Trade Days and Grandpa took his time going throughout the entire area looking for particular tools he and Norman are trying to reacquire – Norman sold off all the ones they did have. He went home empty handed but Victoria and I each got a couple small items.

Mama and Grandma came to Trade Days also and we met them after we had been there about an hour. They did not last long. I think they were there about twenty minutes before they were both hurting too badly to go any further. Mama had to rest the remainder of the day. It has been only four days since her knee surgery.

Grandpa and I struggled with getting the lifting mechanisms on the garage door Saturday after Trade Days but we finally gave up in the late afternoon. No matter how we adjusted the cables on the sides of the door the door still cocked to one side or the other as we raised it. I got it to go up smoothly for about a third of its necessary distance, but after that I ran into problems I could not seem to solve. We will try again this evening. I think we will eventually get it but I was completely worn out Saturday night.

Grandma and Grandpa are getting geared up to return to West Virginia. I think they are planning on leaving as soon as Mama and I get back from my training in Houston. We are planning on traveling to Houston on Monday, I have training on Tuesday. The remainder of the week we are planning on visiting Joshua in Victoria and driving from there to see Grandma and Grandpa Kline in Chappell Hill. It could be a long week overall but Mama is looking forward to it.

We will be back on Friday night or Saturday morning. I think Grandpa is planning on heading out Saturday morning. Since he does not go to church, he may choose to travel all day Sunday. I am not sure yet. I do know he is anxious to get started on a couple jobs Norman has lined up for him. I hope things work out the way he is expecting them to, but with Norman I am never quite sure.

Mama and Victoria are getting very serious about getting several dogs to start a breeding program. I am not enamored with the idea because I have not heard any planning other than buying animals. I am listening for hints on how they plan to house and clean up after the dogs. They are already counting money from the sale of pups not yet born. I do not think either of them has considered how much this will tie them down and Mama has never been one to be tied down.

Of all the refuse from all the animals one can have on a farm I hate dog poop the worst and I am curious to hear how we are planning to mitigate the accumulation of said manure. Since they are talking about having three or more breeding females and the males required for the procreation of puppies, I envision seven to ten dogs – when we do not have puppies.

I am not looking forward to this business venture.

0 comments:

Post a Comment