Demo Site

Monday, September 8, 2014

House visit, survey, canning


Mama, Victoria and I went to look at a house on Friday evening. For me and Mama it was our second look. It  was the first time for Victoria to see the house. It is just north of Decatur on a street named, Conch Court. I thought it was appropriate that Mama would love a house on a street with a seashell name.

My first impression of the house was not positive but Mama really loved it from the beginning. That is why we made the second visit. I am still not enamored with the house or what the property has to offer but I could live there happily if Mama loves it. We will not do anything as far as making an offer until we get back from Alaska.

The survey crew was at the farm on Saturday so we should have those results late this week or early next week. I am anxious to see what the survey reveals about the property since the price will have to be adjusted based on those findings. The husband and wife team were impressed by the welcome committee of five dogs and the two potbelly pigs; especially the pigs. They were not as impressed by Misty who would not leave them alone as they got the boundaries of the horse pasture.

Mama and I took the time this weekend to can up the remainder of the pears we had collected – rather that Peggy had collected for us. We did a batch last weekend without any fancy flavorings but this batch we put some cinnamon and ginger in the mix and they came out very good. Mama and I have already finished off the partial jar we got out of the batch.

We also took the time to cut up and freeze the okra we had been given. We put the cut pieces in layers in a cake pan and froze them that way so when they are put into bagged for long term storage the whole bag would not be a lump. They came out really good. We fixed one baggie up for lunch on Sunday to go with the meat I had grilled. Mama still is not a fan of the slime that okra has when it is cooked. I think we will do a batch of fried okra to see if that strikes her taste buds any better.

I had to take down the dusk-to-dawn light we have on the farm to see why it was not working and discovered that the wiring Grandpa used to initially hook it up had corroded. It was solid copper wire and the corrosion had sealed off the connection to the wiring for the lamp. I cleaned the contacts and put everything back where it belonged and that night we had our light again.

I was tempted to reroute the electric feed to come out of the shop rather than the old farm house but I did not think I had the time to make all the wiring changes before dark and I did not want the project to drag over the weekend into this week.

It will be one of the little things that will wait on me to get back from our soon coming vacation.

0 comments:

Post a Comment