Demo Site

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Mama’s life, coordinating contractors, projects


Mama’s life is about to get much busier. She, Grandma and Grandpa spent the entire day on the road yesterday – most of it in north Dallas, getting items we ordered or found online for purchase and pick up. I met them at the house at about 4:40pm and I helped Grandpa unload the gas range they had picked up in their circuit through Dallas.

Grandpa and Grandma headed back to the farm as soon as we were unloaded while Mama and I headed to downtown Chico to check it out. It turned out to be a very cute little town square with a park, a large playground and a small outdoor theatre. There is a Post Office an auto parts store, a well-known hardware store and a florist shop around the square. There are several other smaller shops as well as a tea room in the mix of businesses. All of this is only four miles from the house.

Today Mama has to meet the painter at the house so he can get started on the ceiling work. I think she is going to meet with the lady doing the flooring but that work cannot start for several days yet. Tonight is church. Tomorrow night is play practice and Friday night is RU. Not much home time for us in the next several weeks.

Play practice actually started last night. So after Mama and I went to Chico to look around and try out the Mexican restaurant there we headed to Decatur to talk to the people at the AT&T store about internet options – no luck with that. We went to Starbucks for some hot tea and on to the church for practice.That is kind of how our evenings will be going for the next few weeks.

As far as the move is concerned, we can move some things into the garage of the house in Chico but we are very limited on the furniture items we can take to the house until the flooring is completed. The painting will not hold us up too much because the painter said he would be done by Saturday. We have not heard an end date from the flooring people.

Mama and I are hoping to be able to set up our bedroom at the house by Thanksgiving but we have not cleared that up with those working on the house. It would work out pretty well for me since I am off all next week. I am thinking about taking Friday off also but I have not rearranged my schedule to make that possible yet.

At some point in the very near future I am going to have to start building structures at the new property. Until this point I did not fully realize how beneficial it has been to have all the buildings in place at the farm in Bowie. There we already had a barn, several out buildings and a chicken coop.

At Chico we have a fair sized barn but nothing else as far as animal related structures. So I have to build a chicken coop, a hog building and a working barn – versus an open shed-style barn. I suppose that is part of the fun and since there is no real urgency we are going to have fun doing those things.

At some point I will probably build a shop building, but that is a ways off.

0 comments:

Post a Comment