Demo Site

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Infestation, travel, just kidding, competition


Mama continues to battle mice in the silverware drawer. Over the past several days she washed and sanitized the drawer and all its contents; which is a feat with all the individual items the drawer contained. But yesterday, when we opened the drawer there was clear evidence that a mouse had frequented the silverware tray over the course of the night. There were little pieces of straw or grass and some remnants of munched on rat poison. That drawer sits empty this morning. I baited a trap and put it in the drawer but this morning the bait was gone and the trap was empty. I rebaited and replaced the trap. We’ll see what happens. I thought about leaving it until I got back Thursday evening but took the chance to have it ready in case the violator returns overnight tonight. The trap I set under the Sequoia was empty this morning as well.

After lunch with Mama I will head south to be ready to train a group on Thursday. I should be home late that evening. It is the first of what looks like many such trips over the next several months. With my schedule filling up, I have had to shop out the Decatur training session for May to another instructor. In case things get very busy there will be three of us on standby to meet all the training requests but at this point things seem manageable. I would like to handle all the training myself – as much as is possible – because all the other persons certified to do this training have fulltime assignments, whereas this is my fulltime assignment. May will be the first time I will have to call in help since I will be in Alabama teaching two classes when the class in Decatur is scheduled.

Over the week and weekend Mama, Victoria and I will have to find time to study for the test we have coming Monday evening. With Mission’s Conference, travel and children visiting we have had very little time to get our notes together to prepare for the test. I do not expect it to be difficult but I like to be as prepared as possible. The final test will be two weeks from Monday which will be the Monday following a week spent traveling through Alabama while I visit clients and teach two classes. It should be an interesting time for us all.

Mama went out late to check on Millie. As she was feeding the goats yesterday, Millie stayed lying down. That is unusual. Millie is not the friendly sort. While all the other goats will cross in front of as we walk to the barn – so they can get petted and scratched – Millie generally keeps a good distance from us. Staying on the ground so Mama could examine her was a good indication that she is getting very close. It could still be a few days but no more than a few days. Mama is still anxious for twins only. We have no say in that and will take what God gives us, but anything past two requires extra work on our part; mostly for Mama.

We harvested our first produce last night – other than asparagus. There was a cucumber ready to pick so I collected it and delivered it to Mama. Within two weeks we will be flooded with vegetables but for now it is fun to watch them grow. So far, we have had to compete with the squirrels in the strawberry patch but not anywhere else in the garden. I will have to spend an evening and see if I can lower our squirrel population but I have not had the time thus far. I did set out a trap with no results. Last night I put an ear of corn as bait in the trap.

We’ll see if that produces any better results.

0 comments:

Post a Comment