Demo Site

Monday, April 17, 2017

Well work, babies, moving



It’s been a few days since I have written. That does not mean nothing has been happening. I taught class all day Wednesday and Thursday and we were off Friday so my time has been pretty well occupied away from a computer. Evenings have been spent studying for the test we have tonight in FBI. All that being said, Mama and I were able to get a lot done at the farm with the extra day we were given.

I have been accumulating and assembling parts for the well in the barn lot over the past few weeks so that when I got the time I could put it in service. Thursday night I worked on a line that the cattle had trampled and bent where it comes through the slab. I had to bust up the slab to get to a part of the line where the repair could be made. I hated to do that but there was no other way. (I will have to repair that corner before I put up the walls of the well house.) Once that was done I got the water lines we laid a year ago hooked to the well and started the well. To my great disappointment, I could not get the water to come out of the yard hydrants at the end of those lines, even though there was pressure and flow at the well. Since Mama and I had to do some shopping that is where I left it Friday afternoon. 

Saturday morning, I had an idea. I rigged up a connection where I could hook the hose at the garden into the new lines and back charge them with water all the way to the well. When I got water flowing at each of the three hydrants I shut them off and let the pressure build. Then I opened the faucet at the well and got the flow there as well. When I started the well again, I had flow from that well to each hydrant. With that done, I spent some time disconnecting hoses from the house well and hooked up separate hoses to the hydrants fed by the barn well. Each of those is close to where we need them so it is a lot easier for Mama and I to fill waterers and troughs and to water the garden and flowerbeds. That was always the intent. It just took me a year to get to it.

We are anxiously watching for baby goats. Millie looks like she is ready to explode. She is starting to show signs of being ready to kid but has not delivered yet. In our cattle, Big Mama looks like she is about ready to give us a calf so we are monitoring her and the others. All of whom are due this month. When it happens it will be a pleasant surprise. We are praying for healthy deliveries. Last year #95 had a still born calf. We are really watching her.

Brittany and Andrew made it to Wichita over the weekend. They will get the keys to the house they closed on some time this morning. It was a painful process doing the purchase long distance. Some of the things being demanded of them and the realtor by the sellers seemed over the top. As it turned out, the sellers were attorneys, so their demands were a little out of the ordinary and very lopsided in their favor. It left Brittany and Andrew with a negative experience which I pray does not carry over into resentment towards the things they will have to do to the house they bought through the process. God will deal with the seller as He sees fit so there is no sense in spending any emotion energy there. I hope it is an exciting moment for them as they get to look over the house they will be calling home for the next five or so years.

It will be Maggie and Aaron and the kids turn to go through the moving process next month. Maggie is absolutely thrilled about it. Kind of.

0 comments:

Post a Comment