Demo Site

Thursday, January 4, 2018

Reflection, look alikes


Some days I sit and think about what to write; nothing comes to mind. Other days the page seems to fill itself. I was reflecting back over the holidays and trying to remember a moment when we all laughed so hard Mama found it impossible to stop. Even quite a few minutes after we had all calmed down, Mama conjured up the hilarity of the moment and spewed water all over me as she laughed in the middle of taking a drink. I honestly cannot remember what generated that much spontaneous laughter, but I feel like I should. It was a great moment. I should have taken the time to record at least a piece of it to save for future reference, but, alas, I thought I would be able to get it jotted down later.

One of the things the Lord has impressed on me it to take more time to annotate events throughout our daily lives. I tend to get caught up in the daily news cycle, the daily grind of work and farm duties, the minutia of life and miss the moments when we really enjoy living life. I have not reached a solution on just how to accomplish that, but it looks like it will take a multi-resourced approach; jotting notes on paper, recording notes on my phone, writing notes on a phone app and even taking pictures of the moment, compiling all that information in some central location.

I have to admit, I am one who needs pretty detailed notes. I have too often come back to some jot or tittle and not be able to make sense of the scribbling – even if I could read what was written. The fear I have is being so involved in taking note of the moment that I fail to truly enjoy the moment. Somewhere there is a balance. I will be led to it at some point. Giving equal treatment to all our children and grandchildren is also a moderate concern. That too should work out over time.

At church last night Mama and Alissa Burns got tickled by how similarly the pastor and I were dressed. I was standing with the Pastor at the front pew of the church and notices Alissa taking a picture with her phone. Mama was egging her on. When I pointed it out to the Pastor he put his arm around my shoulder and posed for another picture. People often remark how much we resemble each other – and I guess last night the similarities were more than usual. There is one couple at church, both of whom are special needs. The guy in the pair is always approaching me thinking I am the Pastor. The girl in the pair is constantly correcting him, saying “That’s the other one.”

Looking at the picture I can see why he gets us confused.

0 comments:

Post a Comment