Demo Site

Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Uncomfortable cold, cooking, training


I think last night was the coldest night we have had this winter. I do not keep careful track of the temperatures but the temperature reading on the clock we have at our mantle registered 9.5°. When I started the truck, the registered temperature was 5°. The official reading is 10°F. At those temperatures the cold is uncomfortable regardless of how carefully dressed you are. When I worked in Kansas City, MO the temperatures were much colder through the height of winter and I discovered that when the temperature got below 10° it was difficult to determine just how cold it actually was. At some point, it all felt the same – freezing. Many mornings I would operate a Bobcat to remove snow from parking lots, driveways and sidewalks at temperatures well below zero. It was never comfortable, but I learned to dress for it, tolerate it, and keep working. The cold this morning reminded me of those mornings. Fortunately, I did not have to work out in it.

Mama on the other hand, will have to be out in it for a little bit this morning to open the coop and set out feed for the goats. It will be pointless to try and get water to them this morning. The temperatures are forecast to get above freezing this afternoon. That is when we will give water to the animals. Yesterday, the highest temperature was 27° (at 3 pm) so I put out water as soon as I got changed into my farm clothes. The poor goats and chickens were so thirsty they downed all the water I poured into their watering troughs. I made sure they all had their fill while I was available, knowing that the water I poured out would be frozen within the hour. The temperatures are not forecast to be below freezing for the remainder of the month – after one last freeze tonight. That is definitely good for the animals. Mama won’t mind it either.

We did not make it to the Chinese home for our cooking lessons yesterday evening. With the cold and the need to set up waterers for the chickens, get sufficient water to the goats and close up the barn lot well house properly, there was not time to make the suggested time for the cooking lesson. We rescheduled for Thursday evening. I still need to learn to make the porridge. Since I have been eating it as my primary food intake, I have felt much better. I would like to continue that trend; however, I would like to be able to change the recipe a little since the porridge with shrimp is the only way I have had it prepared. Mama cannot understand how I can eat the same thing day after day. I have no problem with it; especially if it is promoting good health, but it would be nice to try it with ham or turkey or chicken or egg or even goat meat. Alex told me that if I used dried fish or squid I would have to allow more cook time, but I do not see that happening. I might enjoy it fixed with those ingredients, but Mama would not kiss me if I ate it that way.

Also, last night Mama and I watched a two hour webinar on Tax Liens. Well, I watched it while Mama sat on the couch and listened to the Lu La Roe lady – but she had it “turned way down”. She insists she can do both but mostly she just expects me to fill in the details for her at a time when she feels that she needs those details. It was a very helpful presentation. Mama and I are both looking forward to the three-day training coming up at the beginning of February. Zach and Alissa, Kenny and Kimberlyn and even our pastor are all excited to know more. That puts the onus on me to learn this well; well enough to teach it. Our homework assignment is to select six tax lien states and six tax deed states. Within each of those states we are to select three counties. Once that is done we will request lists from each of those thirty-six counties and begin culling the lists for only the properties that meet a very select criterion.

I am looking forward to getting started.

0 comments:

Post a Comment