Demo Site

Thursday, March 29, 2018

Not so relevant, more travel, making lists


With the busy schedule Mama and I have had to keep and with the very full schedule at work I have not taken the time to look at or listen to the news as much as I would normally do. I believe I am the better for it. I do listen to select podcasts and specific talk radio shows, but I have avoided combing through the news feeds – which in and of itself can be very disheartening without reading anything but the headlines. I have a somewhat lighter week next week, so I may get to look a bit more deeply into the headlines but, like the soap operas of a decade ago, there is very little that changes in the storyline on some networks. They can only say “We hate the President” in so many ways before it becomes nauseatingly redundant.

Now, looking back after a few days abstinence, it is sad to recognize that even the cable news providers that I used to respect and follow regularly, have succumbed to the pervasive narrative of the day. I am convinced there is much more happening in the world that we would like to hear about. Sadly, that news is hard to find, particularly as those in political power take up their chosen positions and defend them with the full extent of the resources they are connected to. There is a whole world around us that we have become disconnected from. Maybe it is time to ferret out those connections and see what we can involve ourselves in that will actually make a difference.

Nate, Cori and the kids should be setting up at the farm this evening. I am not sure of their travel schedule, but Mama assures me that they will be joining us some time before dark. Nate and Cori have a very short layover. After the morning service this Sunday, they will be heading to Houston to fly out to Honduras. There are a lot of friends praying for the success of this trip as they seek out a house in Honduras; what will become a home for the foreseeable future. Meanwhile, we will keep the kids. I think it will be a nice break for them and it will be a good opportunity for Mama, Victoria and I to get a chance for a long goodbye. Savanna and Mykenzie need some settled time to recoup. Savanna from a cold that she has been battling and Mykenzie from a broken toe she gave herself last night as they were playing. Plus, right now we have all kinds of baby animals for the kids to watch, to play with, and to help feed; baby goats, baby dogs and baby chickens. The chicks will arrive tomorrow – all forty of them. As an added bonus, Mama and I are both off tomorrow.

As is customary with a long weekend, I have complied a long list of things to do. Some of those will not get done, but hopefully just putting them on the list will spur me to action in a focused manner. I have come to realize that none of the tasks are urgent. What gets done will certainly help, but it is not going to affect the overall operation of the farm or the home. However, each task makes the operation of the farm more convenient or serves to clean up a specific area of concern. I guess I like lists. I especially like checking things off of a list once those tasks are complete. Those are both good things especially considering that while we own this farm, there will be a never-ending list of things to be done.

That works for me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment