Demo Site

Friday, May 17, 2019

Lunch, Brittany back


Just as I was about to leave for lunch yesterday, Mama called and asked if I could meet her and the girls. She had to get out of the house for a bit. We are at the time of the year when the flies are getting bad and Zoe is freaked out by any contact with a fly. After Zoe’s second or third meltdown, Mama had to do something to distract our granddaughter. Plus, she needed to get to Walmart to buy some fly strips. So, we met at Wendy’s. Our normal default for lunch. The twins love hamburgers and fries. Their mama has taught them well. Honestly, they eat just about everything because Brittany has exposed them to a very wide variety of food items and the twins have not seemed picky about most foods she has given them. But they really like cheeseburgers. Fries are an accessory to burgers used almost exclusively as a way to eat catsup. Mama was constantly telling each to the girls, “No. You have to bite it.” when they were using the fries as intended – to get catsup to the mouth.

Every drink is water to the girls. But they especially liked the ”water” at lunch yesterday. Mama had unconsciously filled the cup with Coke – her default when at a soda fountain. While at home they like it when I put a little of our green tea in their cups. They act like they are getting a real treat – almost like they are getting away with something naughty. I hope Mama and I do not get into trouble for that infraction. It is just so much fun for them to show us their cup and happily tell us, “Tea. Tea. Tea.” One lady eating near us at Wendy’s yesterday remarked that she could clearly understand everything they were saying to us as they jabbered through lunch; narrating what was going on in their young minds. Mostly specific identifiers; cheeseburger, water, fries, dip (catsup), Grammy, Papi, cup (fry container), table, chair, etc. It is fun to listen in on their thoughts.

After Mama and I ate dinner yesterday evening, I went out to do the feeding. It is hot enough now that I get sweaty when I work outside, so I like to eat dinner before going out. Since I was outside and already wet, I started to clean out the pig building. We have had the goats in that building for a couple months and have not cleaned it up at all during that time. It was in far worse shape than I had expected. I started out with one of the broad scoop shovels we use to clean the coop but had to swap to a smaller, more rigid flat nosed shovel to cut the trampled manure and hay loose from the floor of the building. I got only about halfway through the chore before I had to stop. Sparing my back so I can finish this evening. Once I get the bulk of the residue removed from the building, I will open it up for the pigs.

They need a dry place to sleep and I cannot provide that in the pen with the renovations they have made throughout the pen. It is forecast to rain about every other day starting tomorrow. Several inches of rain are predicted. It would be nice to give them some shelter. The building is the only option I have right now. I will clean it up again once we take them off the farm – in about a month. I may have to expand the door to accommodate the larger pigs, but I will let them try the opening first. It should be wide enough, but it may not be tall enough. It was made to accommodate our potbelly pigs. These girls are much larger. I am certain they will dirty the building more than the goats did so I will need to keep up with the mess on at least a weekly basis.

I am taking a half day vacation today. Mostly to make the run to Muenster for feed, but also to spend just a bit more time with the girls before they head home with their mama tomorrow. Brittany is due back at about 2 pm. Her flight is scheduled to land around 12:30 at DFW. She and Andrew have had a great time in Seattle. Just as they flew to Seattle separately, they will not get to fly back together. His training was moved back a day delaying his departure. He will fly out tomorrow and meet Brittany in Oklahoma City. She will time her trip home based on meeting Andrew’s flight. Oklahoma City is about the halfway point between our farm and home for Brittany and Andrew.

We will be sad to see Zoe and Sophia leave. Mama has thoroughly enjoyed her time alone with the girls. Grammy is certainly a clearly defined identity on the register of their minds. Permanently placed. Significantly valued.

It has been a fun time for all of us.

0 comments:

Post a Comment