Demo Site

Tuesday, January 7, 2020

End of Year stuff, goats, travel prep


As I compile the end of year totals for my employer, I am also beginning to compile the totals for our business and personal life. In other works, its tax time. At least it is time to get prepared to get all my tax information to the accountant. That can be a bit overwhelming. Especially with the travel Mama and I have to do in the months of January and February. I have kept records through the year, now those records must be complied, verified and submitted. It generally all works out fairly easily, but it is a chore I have to do largely on my own. An hour here and an hour there. Sorting, arranging and totaling the myriad accounts related to the farm, the businesses (three in total - soon to be four) and our personal life. Oh, what fun. It is not difficult. It is just time consuming and tedious. Depending on how we conducted our businesses, Mama and I will owe some amount this year. Hopefully, not too much. Hopefully, by the time these taxes are owed, proceeds from a house sale will be available to cover that expense.

Scamper is now at BBTI. Bro. Schnell came over yesterday evening and loaded him into a trailer. I was not the least bit sad to see him go. Mama was a little but that will passs. At the same time, Mama caught Champ, our wether, and we put him with the girls. That leaves Midas, our lone buck, by himself. He was not too happy about that, but he was so constantly molesting Champ that we had to do something. I will have the bigger weanling bucks in the lot by Midas in a few days so he will not fee so isolated, but for now he is complaining loudly. It does not help that several of the nanny goats are in heat. Their paddocks are only about one hundred yards apart. Our front yard and drive separate the two enclosures. The goats in heat and the goat that will eventually breed them can easily see and smell each other. It is an interesting dynamic. Everybody will have to hang in there until May. That is when we will let Midas breed all the nanny goats. In November, he will get to breed the ones now being weaned. Lord willing!

I should be able to weld the gate up on the new lot this evening. This weekend at the latest. I will need to move pretty quickly, because Mama and I took two more weanlings to the lot I threw together at the pig building. Another will be added to that group this weekend. That will bring the total to six. The building and lot are big enough to house the little ones safely, but it will be crowded. Neither Mama nor I like that. Fortunately, it has been dry for the most part. We have had rain but not the flooding rains that would turn that little lot into a muddy mess. It has been cool, so the goats have not suffered from the lack of shade in that area. So, it has worked out well as a stop gap solution. I am building the other lots as a longer-term solution. Something with more shade and more room is in the works.

I had planned on working on the lot yesterday evening, but Mama needed me to get other things done. I did sneak a few minutes work in as I grilled burgers and asparagus after dinner. All I accomplished was fully setting the t-posts and the two prices of pipe I used on the fencing, but that was something. Tonight, I will be ready for panels and fence. My hands are still sore (muscular not skeletal) from the work done Saturday. But the old saying, “What does not kill you makes you stronger.” applies in this case.

Mama is spending the day on the road today. She will head to Kimberlyn’s this morning. The two of them will work at Kimberlyn’s house today. I am not sure what is on the docket for their crafting, but I am sure the two of them will enjoy the time together. On the way home, Mama will pick up feed. We are now planning well into February. Since Mama and I will be in Honduras the first two weeks of February, we will need everything in place for Victoria to keep the farm running in our extended absence. Opening the coop in the morning. Feeding and watering every morning. Feeding and watering every night. Closing up the coop after dark every night. It is not a lot of work, but it takes time. It takes an active interest in the welfare of the animals. Mama is far better at that than either me or Victoria. Hopefully Grandma and Grandpa will help in the morning. We are planning that now so that we have it in place in a couple weeks.

Victoria will get to practice this month. Mama will be in Wichita next week so Victoria and I will split up the feeding chores during that absence. Mama and I will be in the panhandle the week of the 20th. We will be at the farm for one week after that. Heading to Honduras the 3rd of February.

It is all happening fast. Hopefully we are preparing properly.

0 comments:

Post a Comment