Demo Site

Monday, January 13, 2020

Weather, sickness, travel


Friday was a day of extreme weather. We spent over an hour that afternoon – just before quitting time – sheltered in place because of tornado warnings in our area. There was no way we could work in the cramped space, so we just talked and made the most of the situation. It was not an unpleasant time and we were in no danger even if a tornado would have formed in our area. The rain that accompanied the storm was impressive. The sustained winds were clocked at 40 mph with periodic gusts of 60 mph. The rain was coming in sideways. I do not know if there were any tornados in our immediate area, but the conditions were certainly right for them to form. Kudos to the company for taking the precautions exercised that day. I don’t know if Victoria wished for snow on her birthday, but she got it.

Meanwhile, back at the farm, Mama was returning from Bowie during the time I was cloistered in an office with my work mates. She and several others met Victoria for lunch at a restaurant in Bowie. She had to drive home in the high winds and rain, but when she got to the farm, it was barely raining. While areas around us got over three to five inches of rain, we got an inch and a half. No complaints. What happened next was a bit of a surprise for everyone. When we got up the next morning, it was snowing. Through the night the storm had deposited over two inches of snow. That was impressive.

It made for nasty travel conditions for Victoria as she slipped and skidded her way to work, but it was beautiful none the less. Thoroughly nasty later on as we went out to feed, but beautiful. Mama scattered bird seed on the ground at our picture window and we watched the birds pick thorough the seed while we ate breakfast. The snow melted through the day and the roads cleared, but the combination of over an inch of rain and the melting snow left the ground thoroughly soaked and sort of greasy. Some of the snow lingered into Sunday, but by the early afternoon Sunday, it was all gone, and the ground is starting to dry out. It was a blessing while it lasted.

I did not get a lot done Saturday. Partly because of the snow and cold, but mostly because of a flare up of my diverticulitis. I spent the day in and out of the bathroom. Always in pain. It was not a good day. By Sunday morning, I was better but still very tender. Today I am much better. I always feel guilty wasting a full day on me. Not accomplishing anything at the farm. Not accomplishing anything in the house. Just sitting – either in my recliner or on the toilet. It was not a fun day.


Mama packed off and on through the day Saturday. We loaded the car late in the evening so Sunday morning would not be so rushed. After lunch Sunday, she drove to Brittany’s. She got there about the time we started services here. The girls were very surprised to see their Grammy and put on quite  a show for her.  Brittany had held off bath time for the twins until Mama got there so Mama was able to lotion up the girls, get them dressed for bed and read them a bedtime story. All those Grammy things. She will spend the week there so Brittany can maintain her work schedule at her new job. Next week her babysitter will return, and the two-week crisis caused by her absence will be over. Mama is happy to be a part of the solution.


This morning, Victoria and I split up the chores so we could both keep to our schedules. I opened and fed the chickens and baby goats well before daylight. The poor chickens were so confused. I probably ruined their routine for the whole day. Victoria fed the nanny goats. Poor Midas will have to wait until this evening to get fed, but he has plenty of hay in his paddock. I spent an hour outside yesterday afternoon cleaning and filling waterers and feeders so that this morning would be easier for Victoria and me. It helped. I will go home during my lunch break to let the dogs out so they do not have to wait all day to get that opportunity, and I will finish the feeding chores this evening. All that coordination makes me wonder how Victoria will manage all the feeding and watering while Mama and I are in Honduras. Next week, when Mama and I are in Amarillo will be a good test of her efficiency. We may have to call on Grandma and Grandpa to help during both absences.

Over the next several nights I will work on our bank application for funding for our mini house project and our taxes. I do not think I will have everything ready to send off to the accountant in Amarillo so there will be another trip there after we get back from Honduras.

Mama will not mind that.

0 comments:

Post a Comment