Demo Site

Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Goat trimming, unexpected doctor’s call, a great catch, Mama’s mower mishap


Foremost on the agenda yesterday was getting one of our young bucks to the vet to have them trim back a horn that was curving downwards into the skull. This goat, along with six others was dis-budded several months ago, but the horns still showed some growth on three of those six. It does not look horrible but, it is disappointing to see any growth. On this one, Mama has been worried for some time about one of the little horns curving sharply back toward the top of his head. The vet was able to schedule the appointment. I was home to catch the goat and put him in a cage in the back of the truck. Mama was free to make the appointment. The vet was able to easily remove the growth. She even showed Mama what we could do in the future to remedy the situation. So, it all worked out. Getting those appointments scheduled right now is a bit tricky.

I had a surprise video call from my doctor yesterday. She had been given the results of my recent cardiology visits and wanted to talk with me about those findings. She also wanted to put me on a cholesterol drug immediately. I am not in favor of taking the medication, but I will follow protocol for a few months until we can get another blood test to determine if my cholesterol really is high. One test is not conclusive to me. The doctor agreed. She is being a bit more aggressive in my treatment since there is a clear indication that I had a heart attack already. I was not surprised by the news. I can remember the time it happened. I do not remember the calendar date, but it was a Sunday morning. We were getting ready for church. The pain, the sweating, the anxiety, the nausea were classic symptoms, but it passed in about fifteen minutes. I changed my shirt and t-shirt and finished getting dressed. No real issues since then – until now. Once the societal panic over this virus has calmed, I will be scheduled for an angiogram to determine if there are any blockages that need to be dealt with. It is a wake up call for me to start eating more healthy choices and lose weight.

Pastor and I went fishing yesterday afternoon for about three hours. We caught about thirty bass and crappie. I took a fish basket to put the fish in as we caught them. When we filled that up, Pastor started using the one he had brought. When we filled his up, we got out a stringer and began to fill that up. We set out three juglines but did not catch anything on them. It is probably just as well. As pastor set out the out the juglines, I caught five fish. I caught three more before he started hooking some bass. By the end of the three-hour tour, we had both caught to our heart’s content. we found another place I can access from the bank that is populated heavily with crappie. I may check it out Friday morning since we are off that day. Pastor took all the fish home with him to fillet out. Both our families will have enough for several fish dinners over the next week or two. It is a good thing fish are on my heart-healthy list.

When we got back and sowed the boat, I ate a sandwich as Mama described her mower mishap. She was mowing in the nanny goat paddock when she drove over a cable hidden in the deep grass. The cable has been there for the entire time we have owned the farm, but we never paid much attention to it. I believe I had at one time wound it up and placed it on a knot on the tree, but obviously, it had fallen down and been dragged out by the goats. The mower was sitting where she had shut it down.

Since I did not want to work on the mower in that tall grass, I took a hacksaw and cut the cable away from the mower so we could move it to the shop. Once that was done, I got the car ramps and Mama drove the mower onto the ramps. That put it high enough for me to position myself under the deck to look at the tangle of cable around the blades. I actually like those kinds of puzzles and it had not gotten would too tightly. It was all unwound in about ten minutes. There was no visible damage to the mower since Mama had reacted quickly to the event. She finished up mowing the paddock and even mowed a bit in the boy’s paddock, parking the mower just at dark.

It was a good evening all around.

0 comments:

Post a Comment