Demo Site

Thursday, April 2, 2020

Quiet day, jug lines, services with Jake, needs


Yesterday was a very quiet day while I worked from home. I do not feel like I got a lot done, but overall, my group seems to be churning out the work on pace as if we were in the office. Our management is duly impressed by those outcomes. So am I. Sadly, it appears that an online version of the course I teach a couple hundred times per year was written and approved without a single note of input from me. I was disappointed to hear that, but that is how things have been done since I started at this company. It all works out well enough, because I will not be there much longer. But it would have been nice to be involved in the construction of the course that will eventually replace my position. I could at least have kept it from becoming too sterile. Which is what happens when management has too much input or control of the development.

Mama and Victoria spent a couple hours with Grandma at lunchtime yesterday. I stayed home of course. After that lunch meeting, Mama and Victoria took Victoria’s car to Roger so he can diagnose the issue she is having starting the car. Most times it starts fine, but sometimes it will start and them die. It has always successfully started and run eventually, but it dies often enough to cause us concern. Hence, Roger’s involvement. Hopefully, whatever repair is required will be simple and therefore will not be too expensive. God is good.

After feeding and getting straw for the calf yesterday evening, I took my six juglines and baited them with the skeletons left from filleting the fish I caught Monday evening. To set them out I stood on the bluff overlooking the quarry lake and slung the baited line as far out as I could into the deep water below that bluff. Of the six, I got very successful casts with three. Two of the six were barely successful, but the lines and bait are in the water. With the last one, as I slung it out, I heard the bait and weight attached to the end come loose and splash into the water far from the naked line. I have had trouble securing the lines to the jugs and hooks because of the line I was told to use. It doesn’t knot tightly enough sometimes. I did not catch that one before I cast it. That will probably result in the death of at least one catfish because I am sure the bait will be eaten by at least one catfish. To retrieve the jugs, I am relying on pastor and I going fishing tonight; using the boat to retrieve the juglines. Hopefully, at least a couple of those will have catfish on them. One jugline was moving just after I threw it in. After a few minutes, I was dragged underwater. If it resurfaces, we will definitely have something in it. Perhaps something big.

Last Sunday afternoon, Mama contacted Jake and let him know about the online services our pastor was doing during the social distancing rules we are following. Last night, Jake let Mama know that he was online for the preaching. Mama was very excited. We are trying to keep Jake as close to us possible – spiritually speaking. He has no contact that we know of with anyone in his area that could help him spiritually. That is a matter of urgent prayer on our part.

Another matter of urgent prayer. I got a note from Hope Children’s Home this morning letting everyone in contact know that the home in Honduras is struggling to feed the 28 children and staff they have in the home there. Since the workers are not allowed to travel outside of the city to buy in quality at their Sam’s equivalent, Pricemart, they are having trouble finding enough food for the home through regular grocery stores. The supply of almost everything is very limited. Not only food items but paper goods, cleaning supplies, and everyday toiletries like toothpaste, soap, shampoo and deodorant. I feel badly that I can see no way to participate in the need…except to pray. Fervently. Mama said this morning that she feels a little guilty about having so much while others are in such need. I can definitely testify that God has been good to us. Unfortunately, there are very few ways we can effectively share what we have with those at the home in Honduras. Please help us pray for that situation.

Nate has been able to go out to the grocery store recently. He was able to restock, at least in part, their very bare pantry. Like the home, they rely on buying in quantity from Pricemart to make their grocery items and paper purchases. Buying in smaller quantities and at a higher price, will be a strain on their budget. Cori has elected to stay at home throughout this health crisis. A wise move on her part based on her history with respiratory issues.

There is much to pray about, but we have a very big, very good Heavenly Father.

0 comments:

Post a Comment