Demo Site

Friday, June 11, 2021

Sasha, my dental visit, vehicle news

Wednesday, I took time away from the class I was attending to take the truck to Mama (we are still one vehicle short) so I could help her load Sasha for a trip to the vet. The evening before Mama had noticed that Sasha’s breathing had a distressed look to it and early Wednesday morning, I had to move Sasha out of the middle of the county road where she had most likely laid through the night. She was a soaked, muddy mess, hardly able to move on her own. I put her at the entrance to our property and headed to class to meet Red, who would be teaching the class.

Mama told me when I called from the Conference Center where the class was being held, that Sasha had made three different moves of about thirty steps each, resting between each move for fifteen minutes or so, and was now laying in the garage. That is where she was when I drove home to help Mama load her up to visit the vet. As we suspected, there was noting that could be done for her and Mama was able to be with Sasha as she was put to sleep and then put down. After twelve years of hard work guarding our flocks and herds, Sasha will be missed. All of us were shocked by her very sudden death. We were all expecting Sam to be the first Great Pyrenes we would lose. In fact, we bought Gemma with that thought in mind. But Sasha was the first to go and as sad as that may be, we are fairly sure Sam will not last through the next winter.

I have cautioned Mama and Vitoria about buying another dog the backfill for Sasha because Mama and I are not certain how many more years we will live on the farm, and I do not want to make the decade long commitment to keeping another dog until we are certain that we will live out our days right here. Sasha died on this farm and Sam will likely do the same. Were Mama and I to sell the farm, we would hope the new owners would allow Gemma the same fate because she would not be content elsewhere, but that is all speculation for now. I just do not want to add another dog to the mix just yet, but Mama is correct when she argues that the dogs do better in pairs versus being on their own.

I will be going to an endodontist this afternoon to be evaluated for full dentures. I am embarrassed and frustrated with the shape my teeth are in, but I need to find the right solution to the pain I am experiencing. I do know that I cannot let my teeth go untreated much longer, hence, the evaluation by a dentist who can answer my questions about the best plan of treatment going forward. I am not looking forward to the visit for a multitude of reasons, not the least of which is the cost of such care. But, at this point I am out of options. Grandpa had had dentures for longer than Mama and I have been married, so I know it is a workable solution, I just do not know if it the right solution for me at this time.

Mama is taking Victoria to Roger’s this morning is she can retrieve her car. Roger is certain that he found the issue and fixed it for the foreseeable future. We are very hopeful that that is the case. It has been a great car for Victoria and should be for another couple years if we continue to take care of it. Having her car returned to service will give us all our vehicles back. Mama will be glad for that. From my point of view, Mama being stuck without a vehicle has limited her trips out which always cost us money. The savings have been noticeable so, having her vehicle back is going to end that trend.

Not a big deal, just a part of living with Mama.

0 comments:

Post a Comment