Demo Site

Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Brittany and the girls, Somerset Bible Baptist, Trace’s caretaking

We left for DFW airport at 6 am our time and were at the airport early enough to easily make our flight but the remote parking facility where I try to park was closed and I had no good idea how to get to the facility on the other side of the airport. So, in the interest of time and to guarantee we would not be late getting through security, we parked at the terminal. I knew it would be far more expensive, but I did not want to wander about in the complex turns and sudden lane changes required to pass through the airport roadways to find the cheaper parking. Parking cost us almost as much as one of our tickets to fly to New Jersey, but it seemed like the better choice at the time.  

We had no bags to check and passing through security was fairly easy. I guess we were between rushes because the lines were short, and our progress was not hurried by the attendants as it is when things get backed up. During the flight to New Jersey Mama made a Color Street sale to the passenger sitting to my right. I was in the middle so all the passing back and forth, all the demonstration of the appliques, all the sorting through Mama’s available packets of nails took place in my lap as I sat between the participants of the exchange, Mama and a sweet woman named Doria. Mama also gave gift packets to two of the stewardesses. Both of the recipients were very excited to try the nail sets. Hopefully, those contacts will bear fruit for Mama’s business.

Once we had landed, we headed for the exits. All of us needed to visit the restroom but as we walked past the exit door on our way to the nearby restrooms, Mama heard Brittany call out to her from the waiting area. Somehow she had seen us passing in front of the doors as passengers were exiting the terminal. Impressive! She wanted to surprise Mama, so she had brought all the girls to meet us. Zoe and Sophia immediately raced to Mama and Victoria, but Audrey was more reserved. Once I took off my mask and hat, she mouthed “Papi” and reached out for me.


Hugs all around and we exited the building so we could go maskless without the sideways glances and direct dirty looks of nearby occupants. Chatter on the way home was incessant and pleasant as Zoe and Sophia tried to get all the important news squeezed into as little time as possible. Audrey studied us with remarkable intensity but said little. I sat up front with Brittany and we caught up on life in general as we made the hour drive to their home. It was largely through very familiar territory – even driving past the refinery where I had worked in our time in New Jersey.

Friday, we visited the school but most of the student and faculty were at a basketball and volleyball tournament. Nonetheless, Mama and I got to see some of the friends we know and visit with them. Saturday, Brittany and I went to the final game of the volleyball tournament for the school. The girls had made it to the finals. I found out on the way to the tournament that this was the only game Brittany had been able to attend through the entire season. The girls were extremely excited to see her. At the game I got to visit with five or six friends from church as we watched the girls compete. They did not win, but they played well, earning second place overall. Later that day (we did not stay) the boys from Somerset won the tournament in a blowout against a rival team. It was, from what I was able to gather, a very sweet victory. Seeing the young men and ladies Mama and I had taught as four and five year old’s in Children’s Church was a delight.

Sunday I was asked to sing in the choir. I was happy to do so and Sunday evening I was asked to sing a special. Looking out over the familiar faces, now twelve years older, was a pleasure we can cherish for a long time. Mama and I were repeatedly complemented on how good we looked. One of the older women in the church cradled my face and said, “You don’t look like you have aged a single day. What is your secret?” My answer, “Being married to Mama Kim.” It was a very sweet visit, both with our children and grandchildren and with our beloved church family. One young man who we had taught many years ago hugged me, cried on my shoulder and said, “Papa Tim, you have no idea what a profound impact you made on all of us.” To be used of God in that way is more precious than anything this world has to offer.

While we were gone, Trace dug up and fixed the leak at the well house. I was very appreciative of that extra effort on his part. All the animals have been well cared for even though Mama was a little concerned that the watering pans have not been cleaned out in many days. A small thing. Especially since the chickens would rather drink from a mud puddle than a clean dish. All things considered; it was a very good visit all the way around.

Thank you, Brittany.

0 comments:

Post a Comment