Demo Site

Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Solar interview, packing, absence

For some months I have been curious about placing solar panels on the house and to that end I made a couple of contacts to get more information. Last week I agreed to a meeting with one such provider and met with the representative Monday afternoon. He was a delightful follow, about twenty-five years old, a disabled vet, wounded in an IED explosion. As we looked over the house, the electrical panel, and several other little points of interest to him, I was impressed by Victor. He had a very simplified presentation on what his company could do for our electric needs, but we are served by a power company that does not buy back any additional power that could be produced by solar panels so the best I could hope for was a drastic reduction in the electric bill from my current provider.  I went into the sales pitch with that knowledge already in place.

We determined that my average utility bill for the house and farm was about $193 per month. Then he started to show me what I could “gain” from allowing the solar panels to supplement that power need. All things considered, he presented the monthly cost for the solar panels to be installed and based on those monthly figures, my cost would amount to about $45,000 over ten years or $61,000 over twenty-five years. That’s not happening. He was a little shocked that I did the basic math to determine the overall cost versus looking at a monthly payment. I let Victor know that we would pass on the purchase especially since our provider would be billing us for meter rentals ($28.50 each) on two of my electric meters and a monthly rental ($24.50) on a dusk-to-dawn light they service for us. That would amount to about one hundred dollars per month on top of the payment for the panels. In essence, my overall payment for electricity to the farm would go from the $193 average monthly cost to just under $500 per month. Not a good investment. But now I know.  

I was not feeling very well yesterday but I did not like the idea of calling for someone to present the class in my stead, so I muddled through the seven-hour presentation. I did not do a horrible job of the presentation, but it was certainly not my best delivery. I did not say anything to the ten participants until the class was over but by that time it was pretty obvious I was not functioning at one hundred percent. They were very gracious to me and gave me good reviews on the class. I was thankful for that. I found out at the time of my confession that three of the participants were also not feeling well, so they were sympathetic of my limitations. I am feeling some better today, but I have eaten very little and have been extremely careful what I drink. Coffee is a bit challenging for me today since all my trips to the toilet yesterday to empty my stomach contents involved the regurgitation of recently ingested coffee. An unpleasant memory I am slowly overcoming as I try to enjoy the taste of freshly drunk coffee.

Today is going to be occupied with finishing up work related tasks and packing for our flight out tomorrow morning. I believe we are leaving fairly early and should be in New Jersey by noon. Mama is allowing me to pack her overflow of sundries she is unable to fit into a carry on and a personal item. I am not sure how heavy my backpack will be by the time packing is completed, but it should not be too bad. I will not know for sure until we walk out the door tomorrow morning.

The farm will be in good hands with Trace. He has proven to be a great help to me and Mama. He certainly has a good heart and a willing spirit in everything we ask of him. Yesterday he unloaded all the feed and hay Mama retrieved for our animals. Feeling as poorly as I did, that was a blessing. As he has accompanied Mama through numerous feeding training sessions, he has taken the time to learn the names of Mamas’ problematic chickens so the two of them can talk specifically about her flock. Fortunately, the weather should be fairly warm while we are absent from the farm so his limited availability to tend to the animals before leaving for work each day will not be further diminished by frozen waterers every morning. That will make his hurried morning activities related to the chickens and goats more easily accomplished. He will have the afternoon when he gets home from work to make a more thorough round in his caretaking activities. Mama is greatly relieved to have him available to perform those duties in her absence. I am thankful as well.

When we return, our focus will be on the garden. I am looking froward to that.

0 comments:

Post a Comment