Demo Site

Monday, December 20, 2010

Conversations with children, Maggie’s travels

We were in Wendy’s a couple nights ago and were seated as far away from the doors as possible. It was, as it often gets here, windy and cold. There was almost no one in the dining area so it was a little unusual that a couple with two children sat down at the table right behind us.


Mama couldn’t resist picking up a conversation with the young mother who was quickly getting exasperated with her two year old daughter. The little girl had beautiful long, blond hair and petite features very like our granddaughter, Mykenzie. She was making a mess of her food and her mother was not pleased with her lack of cooperation in the matter.

I do not remember what Mama said to the mother but I think the conversation opened with a question confirming the age of the little one and an attempt to distract both of them from the pending conflict. Her brother turned around and announced that he was not two years old; he was, in fact, seven years old. So I turned and met his eyes and asked, “Well how did that happen so fast?” With wide eyes and a completely bewildered expression he answered, “I don’t now.” His parents thought it was very funny that I had caught him off guard; but not for long.

“Are you in the first or second grade?” I asked. “Oh, I’m in the first grade but I have a really bad crush on a fifth grader.” “Matthew!” His mother was thoroughly embarrassed. Mama and I laughed and explained that we work with kids so much that they often say things to us that catch their parents off guard so there was no need to worry over it. We were leaving by this time so I am not sure how the conversation progressed from there but it would have been fun to listen in on.

Maggie is flying out of Amarillo tomorrow to spend Christmas in Kansas City. I am not sure if that is in Kansas or Missouri, but it makes little difference geographically since the two are practically one city. She is in for a bit of a shock weather-wise since it is much colder there. It is the only place Mama and I lived that had as much wind to deal with as we do now in Amarillo.

When we lived there I was going to the Nazarene Theological Seminary, working for the Nazarene Publishing House on Troost Avenue. It was not in a particularly nice area of town but we lived in a house owned by the Publishing House just behind the Publishing House across Troost Avenue from the administration/ warehouse building. The rent was very affordable. While there those of us I the maintenance crew got so accustomed to the cold that we would walk across the street from one building to the other in sub-zero weather without our coats. I do not think I could do that now.

Anyway, Maggie is meeting up with the Ledford family to spend Christmas with them and their extended family there in Kansas City. It ought to be fun and I am sure there are big plans being made but mostly it is a chance for her to spend time with Aaron. I can’t imagine what the big deal is.

I do know she is excited and is repacking what has just been unpacked here in Amarillo to prepare for the trip. (They only arrived here on Thursday last week.) She was fussing at us to put things here on hold while she is gone. That is not going to happen so she is a little upset about having to miss all the things that are going on here while she is away with Aaron and family.

But only a little.

0 comments:

Post a Comment