Demo Site

Monday, December 5, 2011

The coming weeks, Victoria, decorating for Christmas

One week from today I go for my colonoscopy and one week from that we are leaving Bowie for Mississippi and then Florida. It will be a very pleasant change to travel to see some of our children and grandchildren. The medical testing will not be so pleasant, but it is far better to have it done than to allow something like that to go undone.


I am praying that Mama will get her sleep test done before we leave for Mississippi. It would be very good to know what our options are for helping her – and, by extension, me. Lots of testing going on; physically, spiritually, emotionally, and financially. Testing is not fun. It is especially unsettling when you are unsure of the results. There is so much fear in all of our lives today and I am not sure how to effectively mitigate it. I think less television, less internet, less live news could help, but how is that balanced against our need to be informed and thereby prepared?

Have faith in God. He knows the truth of what lies ahead and though the cries of the doomsday prophets is loud in the ears of those tuned into their broadcasts, only God really knows. I prefer not to have my head in the sand, but there is little I can do that would profit my family other than be about the work of the Lord and allow Him to guide me to the place of His protection. He has and always will be able to care for His own. I am glad to be one of them.

Victoria started the process of seeking a transfer to Bowie. I am still a little worried about her spiritual growth in the church there, but again, I must trust the Lord to get us to the place where he can use us most effectively and since there seems to be a need for her there, I am praying that the Lord will make the choice obvious for her. I know she can be a help to Grandma and Grandpa on the farm. I am not sure if now is better than in the Spring, but she has been advised by her HR that now is the better time due to predictable cuts in hours that follow the holiday season.

Victoria’s new pup is a funny little ugly thing. He has adopted her – which is what she has been looking for. It would premature to say he is already house broken, but he does seem to be getting the idea that his potty place is outside the house. With the bitter cold we have had lately it is a challenge to stay outside with him until he decides to complete his business.

Rosie is not thrilled about the recent adoptee. She is tired of raising pups and in her old age she seems unwilling to share her love seat with anyone, least of all a rambunctious pup. She likes the hollow between the cushions and if anyone or anything takes that spot it frets her noticeably. I like to put things there just to see her reaction since about 90% of her time is spent curled up there.

Mama and I spent Saturday setting up the Christmas tree. It is a fake tree, tall and skinny. It is perfect for the home we are now in. If fits in a small space and does not encumber access within the small living room where we have it set up. There are huge totes of unused decorations yet stored away, but we really may need them when and if we get to build our log home. It was fun for Mama to rummage through them and find everything she needed.

She was disappointed to be reminded that I left two huge totes of Christmas lights at the house on 6 Gifford. I thought it unwise to keep them since we were moving into an apartment and had no plans of buying a house in the near future. Besides, Christmas lights are notorious for not working more than one season. I suppose we will have to restock after Christmas this year when the price on such items will be more in line with what I am willing to pay.

Grandma and Grandpa will be alone for Christmas. Victoria, Chase and Brittany (if she makes it down to Amarillo) will be together for Christmas in Amarillo. Becky and Charles will be coming over for a few days near Christmas. I have no idea where Joshua is or what his plans are but Mama is thinking he will come over in the weeks before Christmas. We will be with Maggie and Aaron in the days prior the Christmas, then with Cori, Nate and the kids on Christmas day. Mama’s mother hen instincts are kicking in and she is lamenting the fact of our separation during this Christmas, but I see no good alternative.

There will perhaps be many more Christmases to follow much like this one. Only God knows.

0 comments:

Post a Comment