Demo Site

Friday, December 16, 2011

Year end thoughts

This may be one of the last if not the last blog entry for 2011. It has been a year of enormous changes in the lives of several of my children. If I am remembering right, every one of our children as well as Grandma and Grandpa all moved this year; some moved twice. Joshua gave up his business. Nate and Cori bought a house and moved into it. Becky and Charles moved within the state of Arkansas. They also bought a house. Becky joined and left the Coast Guard within the year. Victoria moved in with us, lost two dogs and is seeking a transfer to Bowie with Wal-Mart. Maggie married Aaron Ledford and moved to Mississippi. Brittany moved to Colorado Springs and is now engaged to Andrew Kim. Chase began home schooling, started working for Chick-fil-A and is preparing to go back to New Jersey to finish out his senior year; leaving what looks like a moderately serious relationship on hold until he returns. (I hope we don’t move during the time he is in New Jersey. That would break one little girl’s heart.)


Mama and I moved, bought a farm and gained a son-in-law. It has been a very busy year for all of us and the coming year should prove no less busy and full of changes – in all of our lives. Mama will turn 50 in 2012 and we will celebrate our 30th anniversary – if the Lord allows. We will fix a house, perhaps build a house, and populate our farm with animals. We hope to reap our first harvest, sell our first hay crop and can our first produce from the garden we are planning.

I know all of our children have their plans, dreams and wishes for the coming year and I hope they will succeed in most if not all of those aspirations – if they are properly focused. I do sometimes wonder if it is possible to step back and look at life as our very young grandchildren do; each day is sufficient if they are fed, clothed, housed and cuddled. They will happily wake up tomorrow and begin the very familiar process all over again. Their faith in the provision of mommy and daddy is absolute. Not all children are there, but my grandchildren are. At times, I feel that in my relationship with God I should be much more like that.

I realize I am a steward and in that capacity have multiple responsibilities, but I am not the source of the supply that is given to me, that comes from God in many ways; a good job, good health, His blessings on my family, my automobiles, and my earthly possessions. Plan your work and work your plan is a great axiom, but not the best. Bathe everything in prayer. Philippians 4:6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. Philippians 4:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus. Have faith in God. Proverbs 3:6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. Those are better.

My faith needs to be less impressive to me and more dependent on God. He has asked us to take some financial risks (especially in giving), but He will never ask us to take a spiritual risk. All we need to know is already written down and if our decision does not line up with that written Word, we need to go another way. I need to trust my heart less and His Word more.

I have often said that the idea of celebrating a new year is more than a little disingenuous. Nothing changes. No debts are wiped clean. It is a continuation of what is already in progress in our lives. There is no starting over. This is not dress rehearsal. It is only a change of a date on a calendar – unless there is a change of heart.

What heart change do you need to make the next twelve month different from the last twelve months? If nothing about your circumstances changes, will you still praise the Lord? If things get worse – from your perspective – is God still in control?

I remember reading one time about a daughter who, in despair, went to spend some time with her father who was a chef. I may not have the story completely right, but as they began to talk he put three pans of water on the stove. In one pan he put an egg. In one pan he put a carrot. In the third pan he put some coffee. The water boiled as she spilled her heartache out to her patient father.

After he had listened for some time he began to show her the three pans of water; his object lesson. The egg, he explained had hardened in the boiling water. The carrot had been softened and made virtually worthless. Then they looked at the pan in which he had haplessly put the coffee. He hugged his daughter and said “The water changed the egg and the carrot. Only the coffee changed the water.” She understood immediately that the choice of the outcome was hers to make. Her attitude would determine the outcome in any trial. She went on to say they sat and enjoyed a wonderful cup of coffee.

Are you the egg, the carrot or the coffee?

0 comments:

Post a Comment