Demo Site

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Little things, shopping, farm issues, Mama’s Birthday

By the time I get back to Amarillo this evening, I will have driven enough miles to have driven to Bowie. As I got the keys out of my pocket this morning to unlock my office door (in Borger) I discovered the car keys were there also. Since we have only the one set of keys with us on this trip, I had to drive back to Amarillo to get the keys to Mama. Since she has no phone, it was the only option I had to rectify my oversight in not getting the keys to her after we got home last night.


It is the second time the single key has caused us a moment of dread. As I was testing the capacity of the car to handle two of the longer fishing poles on Monday morning, I lost track of the keys. I looked high and low realizing that I rarely lay anything aside carelessly. With the packing going on in the house there was no real hope of finding them in any of the usual places I could have laid them so I began to think they were locked in the trunk of the car. As we thought about what our options were Mama noticed the key tucked in my shirt pocket beside my wallet; disaster avoided. Next time we travel I will make sure we have both sets of car keys.

Mama and I went to a car lot last night to see what they might have in used trucks. The prices were ridiculous. For about fifteen percent more we could have bought a brand new vehicle instead of a used truck that was two to six year models old. I looked at a 2006 F250 diesel that was in very good condition but when I lifted the hood there was oil sprayed everywhere in the engine compartment. With that much blow by it would have to be a giveaway price, right? When the salesman helping us came back with a price, there was no way I would have considered it.

Grandpa says the calves are hungry all the time. They are having no trouble getting any of them to eat. We have not had the opportunity to participate in the feeding but both Mama and I are looking forward to it. I am curious how the donkeys like having the young stock at the farm. They have been guarding cattle for all of their lives – except since we have had them on our farm. They recently stomped a skunk to a pulp. The only things recognizable at the scene of the assault were the tail and the stink.

I am also curious how the big dogs are responding to the little ones. The two of them have made a sort of truce with the cattle across the road. It is more often that the calves chase them than the opposite. But with the size of the calves we are now feeding, the relationship could be different since both species are roughly the same size at this point. Dodger is still a concern, but I have heard no negative news about his behavior.

The house on Jennie will be empty tonight. Mama and I will go to a hotel. Chase will go to his apartment. Our life in Amarillo is over for now. I am happy to be at the farm. I am somewhat overwhelmed by the magnitude of the work that is yet to be done there. Once it is done, we will reap the rewards of that labor for years to come – God willing.

I am convinced that I need to have the apartment done as soon as possible so Mama can have a private space to escape to when the need arises. With the winter approaching quickly I cannot leave her confined to life in the mobile home on a twenty four/seven basis. I am expecting a very wet but mildly cold winter. She will need her space. We will need a kitchen so we can cook foods beneficial to me and Mama.

It is a lot. Please pray for us.

Mama turns fifty on Saturday. Unfortunately, we have no plans for a birthday party or any special presents. It is rather sad to think of passing such a milestone without some recognition, but it will have to wait – unless something pops into mind when I am less distracted by the move and work.

0 comments:

Post a Comment