Demo Site

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Still packing, phone service, Cinderella, far away

I am back in the Borger office today. Mama and I spent the day yesterday helping the guys who are packing up our house. We were a little shocked at first that it was only the two men but as it turned out, the two of them were sufficient; and we were not stumbling over each other as the rooms filled with boxes. Mama and I spent the night in the house last night but it will probably be our last night there. Mama needs a real bed.


I spent an hour on the phone yesterday in a meeting. I had to sit in the detached garage to hear the conversations about the training coordinator’s position within the company and how that role is being realigned. It will ultimately work me out of that role altogether. I am not sure how that will affect my boss and his decision to move me to Decatur, but I still have my other fulltime job to keep up with.

Mama is without a phone today – I think. She had Chase cancel her phone service with whatever plan she was on so we would not have to pay for the coming month. She is disappointed with both the service and the phone when she is in Bowie. We had planned on getting a straight talk phone and activating that but when we started to think about it; Grandma already has a phone that will work for Mama so they are going to share until we decide what to do long term. I do not know if you will be able to call her on her old number today. I am pretty sure you will not be able to tomorrow.

At work I got notice that the company is going to offer iPhones and iPads to some levels of management. I am very interested is getting back to the iPhone. I am just too cheap to buy my own at this point. Hopefully I can switch over this month. Since the Blackberry I have is starting to give me problems, it is pretty good timing.

I know Grandpa and Victoria went to pick up claves late yesterday evening but I have not heard any more about it yet. The contacts Mama and Grandpa made with a dairy farmer in Windthorst, TX really paid off. The family operating the farm understands our little operation and our desire to work our way into the cattle business so they are going out of their way to help us out. Of the four calves in our first lot, three are four days old and one is ten days old. That is great for us. The older they are the less risk it is for us.

There will be another four calves ready for us to pick up on Friday which works out pretty well since Mama and I are planning on going home Thursday afternoon. Mama is a little jealous of Victoria getting to make the first run. We will have to get a better way of hauling the livestock as the weather gets colder. The way we have the utility trailer fixed up right now is not the preferred method.

Cori was telling us a few days ago about a rough morning for her and Mykenzie as they were doing schoolwork. Since there was some sort of attitudinal disconnect Cori asked Mykenzie to sit at her little desk, fold her hands and lay her head down for a few minutes. When Cori thought about it further she decided to take Mykenzie to her room and have her refold the clothing in one of the dresser drawers. It had not been properly put away and needed to be corrected. Since Mykenzie knows what to do, no further instructions were needed.

Cori walked away for a few minutes because she needed the break also. When she went back to check on her daughter, Mykenzie was about half way done with the chore. She looked up sadly at her mother and said, “Right now I feel like Cinderella.” Cori, to her credit did now burst into laughter as we did when she was relaying the story to us, rather, she looked sternly at her daughter and said, “Well, if you were Cinderella, you would have a good attitude.” Then she walked away and laughed.

Grant is still in withdrawal from the farm and cannot understand why they cannot come to either Papi or Grammy’s birthday. Blake, who has obviously heard the explanation countless times, simply told his brother, ‘Fa’way, Gant. Fa’way.”

It is indeed a challenge to be far away.

0 comments:

Post a Comment