Demo Site

Friday, August 29, 2014

Rain, shopping, RU, waiting and planning


I was wakened this morning about 1:30 a.m. by a clap of thunder that shook the apartment. It must have upset the two Dachshunds we have in the apartment because they were jumping against Mama’s side of the bed until she woke to scold them thirty or so minutes later. I am not sure when they settled down but I was not bothered by them through the rest of the morning.

I checked the rain gauge as I left this morning and it showed that we had gotten a little over an inch of rain through the night. We really needed it. Spotty showers are predicted for the remainder of the day but I think we have already gotten the bulk of the heavy rain for today. I told Mama yesterday that we need to start feeding a bale of hay per day to the two bovine we have left on the farm because there is very little for them to eat in the pasture. This rain will help.

Mama, Victoria and Peggy are headed to Denton today to do some shopping. I think Peggy has the trip pretty well planned out and Mama and Victoria are riding along to keep her company. Mama has a dress to return from the last time they went out shopping together and she is squeezing in a stop at Sam’s but she did not tell me if there were other planned stops; other than not being sure where they were going to eat lunch.

There is some constraint to the duration of the trip since we have RU this evening and Mama has to do the cooking for the meal we have following the meeting. We are doing spaghetti tonight so she may be planning on cooking everything this evening when we are with the children. I have not been told yet.

We have not heard back from the sellers on our offer on the property in Decatur. Mama and I are wrestling with the options of building and the finances associated with that project. I am not really enthusiastic about financing the entire cost by borrowing the amount we need – which we are certainly able to do provide the banker we talk to shares our vision of a building metal shop/home; many do not.

The other option is to do as much as possible with the cash we will have and pay as we go to complete the project. That is perhaps a three year run – very much like we would have had at the farm. Mama is less enthusiastic about that route. So the choices are twenty years of measurable debt to complete the project in one year versus three to five years to complete the project with very little additional debt.

I am guessing that the answer lies somewhere in-between but I have not spent enough time in prayer to discover it. Mama and I will know more as we move slowly forward and we will work out any differences between our separate aspirations as we discover them.

We will work it our; we always do.

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment