Demo Site

Monday, January 5, 2015

Discovery, hard work, more to come


The weekend was definitely a working weekend. Mama and I started by getting things sorted out in the garage. I know I moved a lot of boxes and containers to storage in the well house but when I got done I could not really tell that we had made much of a dent in the total accumulation of items.

We were able to find some items that we had been looking for as I combed through the boxes. One of those items was the box containing my black boots. I had not been able to wear any of my gray or black suits for a several weeks now because I had only my brown boots. Fortunately I have three or four suits that go with brown boots. I did stretch the standards one Sunday and wore a gray suit with the boots I had – but Mama did not like it.

When Grandpa arrived I stopped working in the garage and helped him clean out the barn. We have had the two head of cattle in there for two weeks – since Baby Huey decided to go walk about on the neighbor’s property. He was not hard to spot. He is the only Holstein that size I the area. The neighbors were kind enough to load him up and deliver him back to us. That was a blessing. His next trip in a stock trailer will be his last.

I wore myself out pretty thoroughly as I worked to fill the tractor bucket with the soupy mix that was in the barn and corral. Later that day I felt like I had torn something at the very top of my thighs. Obviously, I had used some relatively unused muscles when I was pitching slop. It was hours before I could move without hurting.

On the good side, we got a lot of fertilizer for the fruit trees and the garden. When we were done I realized we had only taken four of five buckets of wet hay and manure out of the barn. As sore as I was later I was glad we do not have a large operation. I would have been walking funny for a week.

This week we will finish the hog building and play area. Grandpa has the basic structure up but it lacks the roof. I will get that done tonight. Mama and I bought the panels for the yard on Saturday. It will end up being about 16 by 32 when we get the panels set. I will have to put in a gate to let them out for their extended foraging when Mama feels they are ready.

I asked Mama yesterday how she expects to catch the pigs and transport them to their new yard. I am confident we can put them in the back of the ranger to get them to the property in Chico but I am far less confident that we will be able to catch them and get them into the back of the truck.

I am guessing that each of the older ones weighs about seventy pounds and I told Mama we have only one chance to get hold of them. One failed attempt and we will be done for the day. They will not come near us again if we miss.

We have yet to start the little building we will use for a chicken coop until I can get the building erected that I want to use long term, but I did get some additional lumber so we can get to work on it. I am more confident we will be able to relocate the chickens. But that too will be a messy endeavor.

Once we have the animals at the farm it will be time for Grandma and Grandpa to move over also.

Mama and Victoria are both feeling sick; Victoria more so than Mama as of last night. Remember them in your prayers.

0 comments:

Post a Comment