Demo Site

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Spreading out, animal sightings, puppy news


Mama called me very excited yesterday. She had found a piece of property that we could lease. It was one hundred acres. The yearly lease was set at $3500. That is pretty high but she and Grandpa went to look it over. Grandpa was interested enough to go back today to look again. I am far less interested since one of my goals for selling the farm in Bowie was to lower my overhead and shrink the size of our operation.

I think Grandpa wants to put a camping trailer on the property under a roofed barn Mama tells me is standing there. I am still not overly fond of the idea of getting in over my head financially and agriculturally but I will pray about it and see where the Lord leads. My fear is that he wants to start a hog operation and I do not think it will go over well in this county. I will have to check.

I do not want to get into something that takes more money to support than it will eventually produce. I certainly do not want to get into anything that would get the land owner mad at us for doing on their land. With cattle prices so high it may not a good time to be taking on more expenses related to a cattle operation so I am hesitant to jump in.

Grandpa and Mama both got to see the chickens I saw the other day. They seem to be hanging around the barn. Grandpa says he can see signs of them scratching through the hay we are feeding the cattle in the corral. He and Mama also got to see a large hog on our property.

I hope it is the one I saw some time back. Mama says it is a dark red three hundred pounder. I found out yesterday that the shop where we are taking the steer to be processed also will do wild hogs and any other exotic game. They have specific prices for hogs and buffalo but they will take any edible animal and cut it into servable portions.

Reports on all the puppies are coming back positively. We still have the one that will go to Bro. Fisk once he and his wife get settled into their new house. They have  a lot of projects going on in the house right now and do not feel it would be  safe for little Jake. I think Mama is ready to get Jake to his new home and only have one pup to deal with. It is wearing her out seeing to potty breaks and other needs for the tiny ones. House training never was fun.

In spite of all my good intentions of getting some outside work done last night it was too cold and windy for me to stay out. I suppose those times will be here for a while. It is winter, you know.

So Mama and I went grocery shopping instead.

0 comments:

Post a Comment