Demo Site

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Help, hauling scrap, revival


Yesterday was eventful. There were two companies at the house looking at the septic lines. A couple of workers showed up before anyone was up in the house and they dug around until they uncovered the line from the septic tank going to the leach bed. The only problem is that the line and apparently the entire leach field is running uphill. As they uncovered it to reveal the break in the line the water was draining out of the leach field towards the tank. No wonder we were having problems. The fact that it was working at all was almost unbelievable.

The man that Lee recommended to me is the one I gave the replacement job to. Both companies were about the same price but this individual seemed to really know what needed to be done and where to put the new leach field. It will still cost me about $4000 but it will be done right and Mama and I will not have to worry about it again.

When I asked Mr. Cobb how soon he could get started he quickly replied, “Right after this storm passes.” Referring to the forecast. When I asked the other company how soon they could get started it was a far different answer; 48 hours to wait on a line find company to clear them to dig, one day for the permit and at least a day or a couple more days to lay out the system, the current tanks would have to be cleaned and collapsed, etc., etc., etc.

I also called the tree company and had them put us on the schedule to have the three trees in the back removed; and I think Mama spends money fast.

As quickly as I got home I went with Grandpa to pick up our gooseneck trailer at the Krum yard. The office there was made up of modular pieces which are being removed and they tore off the front and back porch/decks for removal. There was a lot of good wood in the structures so they loaded the scrap onto the trailer and we hauled it to the farm.

It was a heavier load than I had expected but we got the trailer set in the center lot and disconnected from the truck pretty easily. When I was jacking up the trailer I got a little worried that the hitch was not coming free of the trailer but was rather lifting the truck so I set it down and tried again.

What Grandpa and I figured out was that the load was setting heavy enough on the truck that it looked like we were pulling up the truck when in reality we were not yet to the point that the truck normally sets when it is empty. Once we got that in view and the block the trailer jack was sitting on stopped sinking into the ground the trailer came free of the hitch.

I had to hurry to get ready for church but Victoria and I got there in good time. Quite a few of pastor’s preacher friends came last night.

It was a great crowd, especially for a Tuesday night.

0 comments:

Post a Comment