Demo Site

Friday, March 27, 2015

Roof repairs


I am back in the office after two days off. I had to take the time off to do some repairs to Victoria’s house so we could get the insurance reinstated – thereby keeping the loan active at the bank. I think Mama found out about the insurance on Monday when she went to the office of the writing agent to ask why we had not gotten notification about the ongoing cost of the coverage.

She was told by the agent that he had written the policy for the closing and only afterwards had gone to look at the house to get the particulars. When he saw a large patch of shingles missing from the porch roof he cancelled the policy without any notification to us. The bank called the next day. That was Tuesday.

I was thinking about taking off Thursday and Friday but when I got up Wednesday morning I was so worn out after having a very rough night that I moved the timetable up. So Wednesday we got the supplies and I started really evaluating the job – after we had visitors.

Wednesday Erin and the kids were over at the house to watch Big Hero 6. Victoria had set up the play date before she knew I was taking the day off. They had a good time while I was getting tools and supplies together for Victoria’s house. I think Mama and Victoria were finally available to help me somewhere around the two o’clock mark. Mama insisted that I not even attempt to do the work alone – that is, without her supervision.

As Erin and the kids were leaving I told Mama I was headed over to the house to get started whereupon she said, “Okay. But don’t do anything until I get there.” When I just looked at her with a characteristic smirk Erin was really amused. So she added, “Just stand there and stare at it until she gets there.”

When I got up on the roof on Wednesday  (properly supervised) I realized I would not be able to keep from sliding off the roof without some help, so I had to regroup. Yesterday I got some two by fours and attached them to the roof to give me the stability I needed to stay up on the roof steadily and I began the repairs in earnest.

It took me all day to get the repairs done as well as to patch the one offs on other parts of the roof. All in all it took a little over four bundles of shingles to make all the repairs. But now they are done; and I have the pictures to prove it.

Mama is coming to collect the pictures this morning and take them to the insurance agent who promised her that upon receipt of those pictures he would reinstate the policy and appease the bank. I certainly hope that is true.

She spent all day yesterday watching over me. She even insisted that she could bring me things as I needed them to save me trips up and down the ladder but one trip up the ladder convinced her otherwise. Her knees are in no shape to make that climb even a few times. I have no idea how many times I was up and down the ladder. I did not keep count but this morning I am convinced that my legs kept pretty accurate record of the total use.

They remind me every time I stand up.

0 comments:

Post a Comment