Demo Site

Thursday, January 19, 2017

Coyotes, puppies, chickens


For the past several days there has been a dead cow lying in the field just off of the road to our property. I had Mama call the owner in Friday evening to let him know that the cow looked like she was in distress in birthing a calf. She was close enough to the road that we could see the calf’s head crowning at the birth canal. The owner told Mama that he thought the cow would get up soon because he had given her a shot. Not sure what that meant, but he seemed unconcerned. The cow must have died that evening because she never moved. She is still lying in the field and Mama is distraught over the lack of attention to the rest of the herd in the pasture with the dead animal. I was not overly concerned but it will soon start to stink so we will have to do something about it by this weekend when it is supposed to get quite warm. However, my concern level piqued when, on the way home yesterday evening, I saw a coyote scoping out the carcass.

That concerned me and should concern the owner as well since he has three very young calves in the same field. It is not a large field; only about twelve acres. Not only will the coyotes come for the carcass but they will kill the calves as well when enough of them have gathered. So, when I got home I got my .22 and quietly walked back to the field to see if I could get a clear shot at the varmint but he was not to be so easily taken down. By the time I got to the point that I go a clear view of him, he had slinked far enough away that I did not feel comfortable taking the shot. I am not the marksman I used to be – and I was not that accomplished at my best. I hope I do not get another opportunity to get a shot at him, but chances are, if the carcass is not moved or dealt with in some way soon, I will have multiple opportunities.

Having small animals at the farm like puppies, chickens and goats makes the attraction of coyotes a problem. Even with the big dogs outside faithfully watching over the property, they could be overwhelmed if raids on the animals come from too many different angles. Speaking of the puppies, we have seven left to sell at this point and it looks like the interest generated through ads has dried up so we may be going to Walmart over one weekend to see if we can sell the rest. They are still cure and seem to be very intelligent. They are certainly very curious and follow Mama wherever she goes – at least, as long as she allows them to follow. With one harsh word from her, they will scurry back to the shelter that is home for them. Most of them are going into the yard to do their bowel related business, but there are a couple holdouts on that issue. My fear is that Mama may be enjoying them a little too much.

Lately, Mama’s biggest frustration has been with the chickens. One of the Banty hens got into the coop with the larger chickens and was being pecked fiercely as the smallest and the newest in the coop. Since we are down to only five little hens, Mama was trying to save her but was not able to rescue her because it seemed she would rather be pecked by her distant cousins than caught by Mama. That had gone on for a couple days and nights until last night the smaller hen decided she had had enough and left the coop. We have not figured out how she entered or left the coop but she is now on the proper side of the fence. Safe among her normal flock.

Mama was greatly relieved.

0 comments:

Post a Comment