Demo Site

Friday, January 6, 2017

Seth update, internet update, packing, life goes on

Mama, Grandma, Grandpa and Norman were all at the hospital in Ft Worth when the attending Emergency Room physician told Seth he would be released. Some simple instructions were given regarding care to be taken when blowing his nose or sneezing – both of which put tremendous pressure on the nasal passages associated with the fractured facial bones. He will experience more swelling and numbness as the healing process continues but there was nothing that needed to be done to repair the fractures. They must heal on their own. It took them some time to get home due to the 5 pm hour of his release, but Mama was finally home about 6:30pm. We learned only after the fact that the injury happened on Tuesday evening – two days before the trip to the hospital. It was another panicky, non-event. Status quo for the principal participants. On the bright side, Seth has a clean bill of health to operate under. Hopefully, he learned his lesson about tickling an unwilling person. He will have several weeks’ worth of daily reminders – every time he bends over, blows his nose, sneezes or strains to lift something. Not to mention, every time he looks in the mirror.
After dinner last night I got back on the phone with HughesNet to see if we could get the internet issue resolved. I was actually hopeful. They did not meet my expectations. When I was talking with the initial customer service rep, he had me go to a page titled purple.com. He was elated when the website showed up on my computer. It was literally a purple screen and nothing else. The fact that I could not open my email or any other website did not seem to faze him. He pronounced my internet connectivity issue to be solved. I asked him if he took his car to the transmission shop and the mechanic told him even though the transmission will only go into reverse that there is no need to do further repairs, would that be satisfactory? No, he answered. I then reminded him that I do not want to pay $80 per month to call up a purple screen, so I do not consider the problem corrected. He assured me that the connectivity issue was NOT their equipment and therefore there was nothing further he could do. I had him transfer me to the accounting department to cancel the service. I ended up on the phone for an hour all told. My recommendation: NEVER get HughesNet as your internet service. Oddly enough, I have been asked about the service by two individuals over the past several days and have offered them that very advice. For us, it was a very expensive, disappointing trial in providing internet service to the farm. 
Packing has begun in earnest for the Mortenson clan. Tomorrow we will have breakfast with them and they will head out. I has been great to have them with us for the last couple weeks – and I think they enjoyed it also. The house will not be the same without them. Please continue to pray for their house to sell. There has been a god bit of activity, but no reasonable, serious offers. Also, pray for safety in travel; they will be doing a lot of driving from here on out.
Mama and I have a busy weekend ahead of us; life on the farm goes on. We will need to restock the shed with hay because the six head are eating the last of the six bales we bought - starting today. Lately, they have been going through a bale in four to five days. The cold weather increases their appetite. [Although, we do have two head that need no outside stimulus to their incredible appetite. I have never seen the two of them seem satisfied but rather, both are ready to break down the barn door for one more mouthful of grain – even after they have been eating all day.] Mama and I will pick up another five bales tomorrow – if possible. I need to get the cattle on a bigger place so we do not have to supplement all year long but I do not have many options at the moment. It is still a matter of prayer, not urgent; a matter of guidance rather than an issue of supply. When the issue becomes urgent the focus of our prayers will change, but for now, Mama and I are able to deal with the cattle we have. This year we may actually have an income from cattle.

That would be a nice change.

0 comments:

Post a Comment