Demo Site

Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Grandma, business concerns


Mama does not usually answer calls at 4:40 a.m. so I knew something was up when I woke to her talking to someone on her cell phone. She did not say anything to me as she got out of bed, but I was in the final stages of waking up, so I got up to find out what was going on. Grandma had called. She had fallen and was concerned that she had broken her ankle. She actually said that her foot was broken, but Mama did not know any more than what she had been told. We both dressed and drove to Bowie. I was needed because Grandpa is down with a very sore back, Norman and Seth are both in West Virginia, and Mama is still struggling with her new bum knee. It was sort of a “Keystone Cops” operation. (If you don’t know what that is, look it up. You will enjoy it.) We took separate vehicles so I could go back home after the patient pickup and still get to work on time. I drove the Sequoia. It had more fuel in it than the truck did. Mama took Victoria’s car – anticipating Grandma’s need for something she could easily access.

Once at Grandma and Grandpa’s we got Grandma out of the house more easily than I had expected by backing the wheelchair down the shallow porch steps. Getting her twisted into position to slide into the back seat proved to be a challenge. She could not use her hurt ankle to make the movement needed to get her backed into the vehicle. She did not have the strength in her left leg to hop on that foot – nor would we want her to. So, Grandpa wrapped his arms around her and helped her make the final adjustments to get herself in place.  Mama reached through the opposite car door and helped her get scooted into the backseat. It was surprising to me how little strength Grandma has in her arms.

 While we were getting Grandma loaded I looked at her ankle. Not too closely. She was in a hurry to get diagnosed, treated and hopefully get some relief for the pain. But from what I saw, I would be more inclined to think it was a bad sprain. The ankle can make a frightening crunching sound when it is folded into itself. We will know in a few hours whether it is broken or badly twisted. Often, a break will heal faster than a sprain. For now, Mama is at the hospital with Grandma, Grandpa is home nursing his back and Victoria is on her way to work. And all is well – or will be; mostly.

I am almost at the point of giving up on my second side business. I have spent time over the past weeks getting the documents ready for presentation and feel like I am going in reverse on the whole project. I made enough headway last night to recognize some issues I need to correct regarding content and sequencing of information. But that is not what is bothering me. I do not feel that I have what it will take to make the venture successful. Adding to the frustration is the very likely success Mama and I will have in the real estate business we are starting. That business will be far less complicated and has the potential to generate a sizable income. I am not convinced that I want a business that will occupy every available moment outside of the real estate business. It is something I am praying about it earnestly.

I would like a chance to relax at some point. I enjoy Mama’s company and would like the opportunity to spend more time with her. One of the two businesses will certainly allow that. The other may not. At least not for the several years while I am developing that business. For now, I will press forward and see how things progress. Mama is okay with either outcome.

Me too.

0 comments:

Post a Comment