Demo Site

Tuesday, October 12, 2021

More tests, recounting our life

I did not get the results from my ultrasound yesterday because the doctor was not in the office; however, the surgeon’s office called me very early this morning to let me know that the ultrasound was normal. The surgeon wants me to do a HIDA scan. A test that is highly recommended by my daughter Maggie. I do not yet know how much I will be financially responsible for to have this test done, but I am sure it will not be cheap since it is done at the hospital here in Decatur. According to Maggie, this was the only test that revealed that her gallbladder was non-functional. I do not have high expectations at this point, and I am growing frustrated by the amount that each non-conclusive costs me and Mama. I am sure insurance helps, but it is difficult to look at a $500 or $800 invoice representing our portion of the bill, to identify that help. So far, I have been largely disappointed by demonstrably good intentions that are costing us thousands of dollars to satisfy what seems to be no more than sympathetic curiosity. If I agree to the cost of the further testing, it will happen next Monday morning.

On the brighter side, Mama got to spend the day with friends from church. It was an impromptu lady’s day out. The missionary mom and daughters that made up the bulk of the group were on a mission to find suits for the multiple small boys being dressed weekly for deputation meetings that are ongoing. In the day of travel and shopping, Mama got to talk about how she and I met, courted and married. Ours is an unusual story that Mama loves to tell. Parts of that story do not comport with the more cautious courting associations encouraged by the Independent Fundamental Baptist, but those parts were corrected to reflect proper etiquette as Mama told our tale. How you begin a courtship that ends in marriage is always a fun story to tell. How you live that life of love, sacrifice, surrender and service to each other is the real truth of love. Now, almost 40 years later, that is the story we can tell. She had a wonderful time.

When I take time to look back on all the years Mama and I have been together, all the circumstances we have laughed through or cried through, most long ago forgotten, I wonder what the recounting of our lives will look like at that moment in Heaven when all our hours are reviewed with us by the Lord? 23,760 days have elapsed in my life to date. (14,310 of those days have been spent with Mama.) 570,240 hours have flown by in my life. You can do the math for the minutes and seconds if you like, but it all counts to God. I wonder, in the eyes of the Lord, what have been accomplished for him during those hours, those minutes, those seconds? Heaven will tell.

Such thoughts should sharpen my focus, but the “cares of this world and the deceitfulness of riches” quickly choke out that drive to excel in Spiritual matters until I am summoned again to that moment of honest reflection and Spiritual discernment. Thank God, He fully understands our burden of flesh and allows us to make up for lost time in great ways as we take the opportunities to do so. Having your heart pointed toward seeing those opportunities is the key. I Thessalonians 5:16-18 gives us a starting point. Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

Sunday night the Miller family, our missionaries on deputation to go to Mexico, were at church with us. Their seven- or eight-year-old, Joshua is drawn to me and Mama. He is quite a chatter. Before church he asked me, “So, what’s it like to not be able to go fishing anymore?” Referring to the leasing out of the quarry lake properties by the owner of that acreage. I looked and hm and said, “Thanks for depressing my right before the service begins.” His eyes widened in shock and his mouth dropped open. Stammering, he said, “I could lead the singing for you.”

I thought that was hilarious!

0 comments:

Post a Comment