Demo Site

Monday, October 18, 2021

Weekend updates

Mama and I had a wonderful weekend. The weather was beautiful. The temperatures perfect – cool morning and very mild afternoon. I sent a good deal of time cleaning the roofs of our sheds and the house. I do not like to get on the roof when the weather is warm because of the damage that can be done to the shingles, but in the cool of the morning, I was not concerned about causing any undue damage. On the garden shed, I removed two wheelbarrow loads of twigs and dirt that I had been able to remove from the shed roof. That accumulation has been happening for a number of years. It was good to get that swept away. The roof looks clean and cared for. I also installed some drip edge on the wellhouse roof above the point where the shed roof is attached. That will keep the rain from dripping down onto items stored beneath the shed. Getting the dirt and twigs off the roof will let the rainwater run off without interference. Hopefully, that will keep the roof clean.

That drip edge proved far more difficult to install than I had thought it would be. I had to lay on my belly and work the ten-foot piece of metal under the edge of the shingles. Sounds easy. It was not, but I eventually got two such pieces of metal slipped in place and attached. We will not have to wait long to see if that addition keeps water out of the shed. My shoulders were aching that night from hanging over the downward edge of the roof coaxing the metal pieces into place.

Later that morning, because the windows were opened and because she had wanted to do so for some time, Mama and I began cleaning the windows. The sills were very dirty, and the screens needed to be cleared of spider webs. I worked from the outside while Mama worked from the inside. I managed to get all the way around the house, while Mama got the dining room and kitchen done. The other windows will have to wait for a bit longer, but they are far cleaner than what we started with. Since we will be opening the windows more often over the next few weeks, it made sense to take the time to get that project started. Besides, it is always nice to look out through clean windows.

Mama and I also rearranged the living room furniture taking the couch away from the windows to the left of the fireplace and putting it lengthwise stretching away from my living room desk area. We moved the two recliners onto the East wall of the living room which opened up the windows that had been blocked by the couch. The room looks very bright now. Mama and I both are liking the new setup. Although it limits a portion of the approach to the living room from the kitchen and dining room, it makes for a more comfortable sitting arrangement for me and Mama. Plus, it gives us full access to the windows that had been blocked by the couch. Those windows are opened most often on these pleasant mornings.


I spent a lot of time trying to burn out a stump in the grassy area between our driveway and the backyard fence. I have hesitated or procrastinated rather in renting a stump grinder to remove that stump along with four others that could be dealt with and got the notion that I should just burn it up versus grinding it up. I stared a fire in the stump early in the morning. It took all day and a good bit of scrap wood and deadfall but I pretty much succeeded. As of last night, there was only a very small portion of the stump left that had not been consumed. Feeling as badly as I did all weekend, that was a project I could do with minimal physical effort. It afforded me a small campfire to sit beside Saturday evening as I enjoyed the cooling of the air at nightfall. Such fires are a nice little benefit of where we live.

As for my appointment for a medical exam this morning, after refusing the test based on the assessed payment required, I was contacted by the scheduling department for the hospital and informed that the test had been postponed until insurance had been contacted regarding their portion of payment for the test. That had not been done yet. I am not convinced that will make a difference in the charge, but it certainly should have been completed first rather than after the fact. So, that test may still be in the offing. Time will tell, but the discomfort is getting worse day by day and at some point, I will need outside help. Fortunately, my portion of an Emergency Room visit is limited to $300. That is far more reasonable than $1,120.

I will be teaching a class tomorrow. After a week’s break from teaching any classes, I am looking forward to the class.

0 comments:

Post a Comment