Demo Site

Sunday, June 27, 2010

“Busy’s”, Mommy practice, Fishing and Magic

My granddaughter was over one year old when my grandson was born. My daughter, as is customary and desirable for the health of the baby (when possible), breast fed her newborn; an activity that captivated the attention of his sister. But, having had exclusive rights to her mommy’s attention for the entirety of her life, she had a little trouble adjusting to the amount of attention her new brother required of their mommy.
I suppose it seemed to her that every time she needed mommy’s attention, her brother was being fed and her mommy would say, “Honey, Mommy’s busy. I’ll help you in a minute when I am done.” For that reason, that particular part of the female anatomy became known as “busys”. A friend of my daughter even made my granddaughter a small shawl to use when she practices feeding her baby doll. As my daughter nears the delivery of her third child, that should come in handy for my granddaughter who, like most three year-olds is a great imitator.
Yesterday my granddaughter was busy undressing her Build-a-Bear and reusing the clothing on her doll. She did pretty well with the shoes and the pants but she was struggling with the halter top and her mommy was definitely enjoying the exercise in frustration. My granddaughter finally looked at her mommy and asked, “Mommy, can you help me put this over my baby’s busys.”
My daughter tries not to laugh too much at the things my granddaughter says to her, (to keep from embarrassing the child) but that one caught her so off-guard that she almost choked. When she had dutifully tied the clothing, she handed the dressed baby back to her smiling daughter she could not contain herself any longer. My granddaughter looked at her baby and laughed along with her mommy.
Last time we went fishing with the kids we were watching it struck me that fishing must seem to them like a little bit of magic – especially when we are not able to see the fish we are trying to catch. Or perhaps it is like a carnival game where you get a surprise if you win. Think about it, we throw a line and baited hook into this enclosure of dark water – as opposed to a swimming pool – and by some unknown mystery, the bobber disappears or the tip of the pole bends and if your timing is right, you reel in a fish.
They are supposed to be there. That is what we have been taught, but to actually pull one of them out of that shimmering blackness is very exciting. I have to admit, it is somewhat the same for me.
Let the magic continue.

0 comments:

Post a Comment