Demo Site

Monday, June 28, 2010

Rising Heart rates, Pre-event giggles

The older of the two of my daughters that are visiting has been able to spend a lot of time with the person of particular interest to her – her serious boyfriend. It has been fun to watch as a parent as well as a perspective father-in-law. I think my wife is having fun with this also.
Since most of their relationship has been long-distance they are happy to be close to each other but at the same time are trying to be very circumspect, very careful not to be alone together, very careful to give account of themselves. It has been pleasant for all of us; for our love birds and for both sets of parents.
While they were with my wife at Wal-mart the other day my daughter’s boyfriend gave her a hug. Though this is not allowed in the strictest Christian circles among courting couples, we have a difficult time in discouraging the practice. Besides, it’s just so darn cute!
While in the hugging pose my wife sternly warned my daughter that such actions can be dangerous. “Honey”, she cautioned, “You’re going to get his heart rate up!” She was teasing, of course. My daughter and her boyfriend both about fell over laughing and it has become a private joke between them – which I predict it will continue to be for many years to come.
Today we have the little girl, her older brother and another kindergartener; three young ones, six and under. We are going swimming – after a requisite hour of Wii games. All my wife had to say was, “You can get changed.” And the entire mood of the apartment changed instantly. They all three got the pre-event giggles.
That is what happens to children when the anticipation of an event is finally becoming reality. They hurry to get ready. They are frantic to gather the toys or other required items for play and everything, positively everything is hilarious. They were nearly paralyzed with laughter when the baby girl put her sandal on the wrong foot. And when one of the boys suggested that he could use the Disney Princess float, I almost had to call 911.
I love those moments.
Three hours later the moment was over and we had to move on with the day. But we had the moment - amd the memory. If that's all we get, it's enough for now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment