Demo Site

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Disappointments, Silver Linings, Romans 8:28

Yesterday I received an upsetting disappointment. Through an innocent mistake on the part of the individual handing out the papers announcing our yearly raises I found out that the person most of those with whom I work feel is the least proficient at the job we do is several years ahead of the rest of us in compensation. With the raise I was given this year I just caught up to his salary of last year. In addition, his raise for this year was far higher than mine.
That’s hard to swallow, especially when I have had the assignment of helping people he has taught what we do to un-learn his training and correct what they were told by him. It is probably the most disappointing part of a working-for-a-living life. I am not one to complain but I do feel betrayed by those who have accessed a value to my work as compared to his. But such a disparity is commonplace.
It is one of those times that a sense of powerlessness can overwhelm a person, a dire sense of unfairness in the circumstances, a sense of being not quite good enough. That’s tough to fight, until I remember that God is in control of EVERY aspect of my life. It may not be so with the other individual in question. God has always done more with my limited supply than others do with their seeming abundance. I look forward to Him expanding what I have been given in salary to meet not only my needs but to supply the needs of His work also.
God’s participation in what we have, and are will to give to Him, is always the silver lining to those living the faithful Christian life. What He does through my life may not be expressed in what this world can see, but it will last far past my lifetime.
Romans chapter 8 verse 28 is still a promise to all of us. If you don’t know it, look it up in your Bible.
“And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.” All things work together for good. It is a promise worth smiling about!
Although I have to admit, I was not smiling last night.
Today should be like Christmas to my youngest son. A surround sound system that was a safety award is finally at the apartment – after multiple attempts to get it from our old address – as well as several other items he won on an online bidding site.
He may actually smile.

0 comments:

Post a Comment