Demo Site

Monday, September 20, 2010

Bringing the bride to the groom, passing close by

As the pastor presided over the wedding ceremony for Bobby and Lin, he talked for a few minutes about the idea of bringing the bride to the groom. In that short discussion he mentioned a couple thoughts worth repeating. First, the very first bride to be brought to her groom was Eve. If you think the prospects of finding a suitable mate are poor in today’s anti-Christian culture, consider Adam’s prospects – he had none literally, none. Yet God provided for him miraculously.
(It reminded me of how God brought my wife to me: when I was not looking, when I least expected her to be there. It was so much easier to be sure when God made it happen.)
Bobby, like Abraham, sent far away for a woman to marry. I am not sure why no one nearby was found suitable for him, but that is not our responsibility to even try to answer. She is her now. She is his now. All the way through the courtship, via internet and phone conversations, God moved miraculously.
Lin, line Rebekah being brought to Isaac, had to leave the only home she had known, the only culture she had known, the only life she had known to make herself available for her groom. But just as the servant of Abraham had asked of God to make the damsel known to him, so God did. He was sure. She was sure. Isaac was blessed. It was a great application of Bible to what had taken place over the last year with the current wedding couple.
On the more personal side, Mama will be coming home on Thursday at about 2pm. I had to swap to nights Monday and Tuesday in order to be off to go to the airport to get her. As it turns out, I will be flying to Texas for a face-to-face interview with a plant manager in Borger on Thursday. I had to arrange my flight so that Mama and I could spend a few minutes together between her arriving flight and my departing flight. Fortunately I was able to pick the same airline.
So for the first time in our marriage, we will pass by each other in the airport. The good news is that I will only be gone for two nights. I will be back on Saturday about 6pm, but after being apart for a week we were hoping to spend more that a few minutes together – and that in an airport terminal.
I was a little worried when the call for the interview came as to how I was going to get Mama home since I was flying out the same day she was arriving, but we worked it out that I will drive to the Philadelphia airport (which I would have done anyway) and she will drive home from there – without me. It all seems kind of weird. But she will get home. I will get to my interview and we will get a quick hug and a kiss before we go our separate routes.
We will work hard to keep this from becoming a habit.

1 comments:

Beth said...

I will be praying for this interview!

Trusting in Him!
Beth

Post a Comment