Demo Site

Monday, September 27, 2010

Meeting Mama, Driving to Borger

I suppose to those looking in from the outside, Mama and I lead a very interesting life. It is at least filled with activity from rising to resting every day and in truth, I have to thank Mama for that. Last week was one of the infrequent weeks when those near to us get a peek into the life we live and just how much fun we have living it.
While Mama was in Florida I got a call for a face-to-face interview in Borger, TX with a different department within ConocoPhillips. They wanted me to be there Friday afternoon which meant I would have to fly out on Thursday to make the deadline. The problem was that Mama was returning from her week in Florida on the same day I was to fly out.
Fortunately, the travel center making the arrangements for me understood what I needed and arranged for my departing flight to be later than Mama arriving flight at the same airport so we could have time to spend a few minutes together before I left. After all, I had already spent a whole week without a single hug or kiss.
I met Mama’s flight and we embarrassed most of the people near us with our embrace. I think some even looked around to see if the moment was being caught on film for some reality show. We had a quick lunch together and she drove home from the airport alone.
I flew out a couple hours later and arrived in Amarillo, TX at about 10 pm. The drive to Borger – about forty five minutes away – was almost nostalgic; late at night under the expanse of sky we do not see in New Jersey. I actually stopped several times to look at the stars. For those of you who have never seen that much sky filled with that many stars, it is almost overwhelming.
Psalms 19:1 was running through my mind as I looked up, “The heavens declare the glory of God…”
Though it is true everywhere, it just seemed easier to see there.

0 comments:

Post a Comment