Demo Site

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Definitely European, Big eyes, little stomachs

Mama noticed a new group of people at breakfast one morning recently but she could now tell what language they were speaking. Monday morning when I was with her and helping with the kids her curiosity could stand it no longer, so she asked.
They were visiting from Germany and only the daughter spoke any English. But for those of you familiar with Mama’s communication skills, the language barrier was easily overcome and introductions were quickly made.
The daughter is in her late twenties or early thirties and the parents are probably in their mid to late seventies. They eat tomatoes and lettuce with their bagels every morning and spend every day shortly after breakfast at the pool.
I was slow to make the connection when I was walking over with the kids later on the morning of the introductions. I noticed an older – much older – woman sunning at the pool in a not-really-modest two piece swimsuit. My initial thought was “Whoa!!” but I do not dwell on such things. It was not until the older gentleman was coming from the bathroom area in his Speedo (Double Whoa) that the fact that they are definitely European really hit me.
As we were eating that morning each of the kids got a bagel, a muffin, a banana and a yogurt. Mama, Chase and I do not eat that much at one sitting so I was surprised that Mama let it slide, but it seems that Joshua (10) started the feast and Mama was distracted when the initial collection was going on and she too got caught up in the moment.
Victoria (almost three), Alex (5) and Jake (6) had all decided that they were big too and a less than full plate was not going to do for the morning. Orange juice or milk for each child was added to the pile of consumables we collected on our table and not much was eaten of the entire lot.
I ended up balancing leftovers of three muffins, two bagels and three yogurts on stacked plates as I walked back to the apartment. If it had not been for the bananas and the four bags of instant oatmeal piled on top I might have made it.
When the whole mess started to come apart in my hands and pieces started ending up on the grass, Alex asked, “Papa Tim, why in the world are you taking so much food to your kitchen?” I waited for him to help me pick up the pieces and answered, “Maybe because I had breakfast with three kids that had big eyes and little stomachs.”
To which he answered, “You should eat with different people.”

1 comments:

Cori said...

Love that reply Alex made to you!!!! Makes me think of Mykenzie...she was praying for me and Nate as I was crying over the news of work and she prayed that Daddy wouldn't go to work anymore, very astute, don't you think?? :-) I wish that would solve the problem!!

Post a Comment