Demo Site

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Missing Mama, boss stuff

When life is truly shared with another person it is difficult, or rather uncomfortable, to go through our days without that person. I am not speaking to the loss of a spouse in death; I cannot begin to relate to that, but rather just being without the one you want to be with. Such is the case when I have to do things without having Mama with me. The work I do not necessitates my travel, sometimes overnight, to take care of the offices I have responsibility for and as much as I thought when I was younger that I enjoyed being alone, I really do not.


As I was leaving the office in Decatur last night to check into a local hotel I thought about what I would do if Mama were with me; check out the town, drive to Costco or to the Outlet mall, eat a nice dinner and fuss about watching HGTV. What did I do? I filled the truck with gas, got some take out food, went to my room and was in bed by 8 p.m. I have to admit to being well rested which is really what I needed – just not what I wanted.

This boss stuff is a little overrated. As we went through our reviews yesterday I could see the need to better document the work actually done by my team so I can provide useful feedback, but I also saw that what I am doing is only slightly different and much easier than parenting – there is no potty training involved.

The one review that we were dreading actually went well. The person who received a bad review was not expecting to be congratulated for the work done last year. She had very honest expectations and the fact that I have already relieved her of the work that caused the bad review and put her on a completely different career path was a relief to her.

I believe her attitude – which I attribute to her faith in the Lord – had a profound affect on the person here who had been her supervisor this past year. In my opinion, when an employee receives a bad review it is a reflection on the person who should have been enabling their success; their supervisor. In this case, my employee is set to have a good year if I can give her the tools to prove her abilities and promote her success.

By God’s grace, I will have the insight to help all thirteen of the people I am responsible for to do very well this year.

By His grace, I will have the insights to help my children – my real children – succeed this year also. Time will tell on both counts.

0 comments:

Post a Comment