Demo Site

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Meeting minutes, a new dog, Chase

My staff meeting went very well yesterday. Mama got to meet two more of the ladies I am responsible for and we had a great lunch together. I have some minor items to take care of for the ladies, which is as it should be, but overall everyone had their say and now all the ladies know each other better. Everyone went to their respective homes last night, which was a long drive for those returning to Decatur, but we ended early enough to get even those three home before dark.


The three little ones spent the night with Mama last night so we took them to church – which thrilled all the ladies of the church; two for the nursery and one with us through the service. Because of choir practice and rehearsal for a trio I am singing in on Easter Sunday, I did not get home until almost 10 p.m. That may not seem late to some but it is an hour and one half past my bedtime - making last night the second night in a row with less than six hours of sleep. Regardless of how the average individual may feel about that, I know it is not healthy. I owe myself some hours of sleep. One debt I am looking forward to repaying.

Mama has her sights set on a Scottish terrier now: only $300 – only a couple blocks from our house here in Amarillo; so cute, so hard to find (especially for that price), so long desired. Since there is no commitment to relocate and no room for two dogs in my house it is easier for me to say “no”. I may have a problem on the follow through. I keep trying to say “not yet” but these wonderful and rare opportunities keep coming up and I do not know how much longer I can resist such a streak of good fortune.

Chase is still without a job, though not for lack of effort. He has put in over thirty applications, had a dozen or more interviews and followed up on at least half of the interviews yet still without work. I am not sure what God is teaching him but it will be interesting when the truth of the lesson is revealed to him. In the meantime, I would love to be the “fly on the wall” at his next interview. He is very private and quite unexpressive to the point that it takes a concentrated effort to get him to talk about anything long enough to get to the root of any issue. Thank God for the insights He gives. Most times that is all I have to go on.

Chase came home from school yesterday with a cut right beside his left eye. He also had some broken blood vessels in the same eye. The injury was caused by a Rubik’s cube thrown in frustration at someone else. It was a very bad throw and, yes, it was a girl who threw it. Bobby De La Garza gave me the rest of the story after church.

They were having a contest in school – boys against girls – over Bible trivia. One girl in particular was having difficulty getting the answers correct but her competitive spirit would not let her take the time to clearly think through her answers; whatever came to her mind was just shouted out. Of course, what teenage boy can resist pointing out a string of incorrect – bordering on silly – answers? The last straw revolved around the question, “In what book of the Bible did a man use a stone for a pillow?” Her instant answer was, JOSEPH!” I suppose that was too much for the boys to contain.

When they were dismissing only a short time later, one of the boys said to this girl, “See you later ‘Joseph’” That was all she could take so she threw the nearest loose item at hand at him (the Rubik’s cube), only Chase was the contact point.

He hopes it will turn into a black eye. After all, they are really cool!

0 comments:

Post a Comment