Demo Site

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Becky’s release, birthday month, relocation for some

I got a call from Becky the other day – I think it was Sunday – that she should be going home very soon. The doctors are not certain what she had but it was serious enough to let her out of her contract, which is a pretty good outcome for her and Charles. I think she said she would be home within two weeks. It will be a great birthday present for her. After all, this is birthday month.


Chase was showing me something last night that we could get for Mama for her birthday. She pretended not to know what was going on but I know better. She does not like surprises and she does not like us to buy anything for her – so she says, but it is birthday time and we have to do something!

I got some mixed news yesterday. I did find out that I will not be getting a truck. My new boss is going to review the needs of various positions and assignments and take away a lot of the vehicles we now have from other non-qualifying individuals. I will continue to drive the truck I now am using until the final edict comes down or until I am asked to give it back, but that was a disappointment. I also found out that the Borger office will probably be shut down over the next year. The current lease runs out in October. That is going to be a huge disappointment to many here but it may facilitate my move.

My boss asked for my resume because he was told that I do not really have the qualifications to be in this job – that is to say my skills may be better suited to another part of the organization. This day and age, with two years of unemployment benefits, it is tempting to consider the idea of being laid off as a benefit rather than a tragedy; but we won’t go there. I planted the idea of relocating the office to Ft. Worth from Decatur to attract better candidates to work for us and the idea was well received, but I do not know how it will pan out.

There is quite a bit of angst in the company right now, not only in our area but nationally as ConocoPhillips seeks to divide into two companies. I hope to stay where I am both geographically (north Texas) and occupationally but I am not sure what the Lord has in mind. I am pretty sure we will be in Amarillo for another year and that is not a bad thing since we are growing stronger spiritually and financially. Having a place to stay when we are at the farm will be a real blessing. Over the holidays we are really looking forward to it.

Grandma and Grandpa are getting ready to relocate. They are extremely excited. At least Grandpa is: being closer to the farm will be a great benefit for all of us – especially Grandpa. We are tentatively scheduling the tractor to be delivered on the 23rd. That is when Mama and all will be delivering the goods to the new house for Grandma and Grandpa. It is only four miles from the farm so it is about as good as we could have hoped for until the farmhouse is habitable.

For those of you who might be wondering, the fires that are charring the state are quite a ways south of us. I cannot imagine the losses suffered this year; tornados, floods and fires have wreaked havoc on the country. The rains are thankfully, coming to our area. Bowie is predicted to have seven consecutive days of rain starting on Wednesday. If the predictions are accurate, it will stop on the day we are planning our move.

I have, by faith, crossed that off of my master prayer list.

I

0 comments:

Post a Comment