Demo Site

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Fall is here, the convoy, wildlife

Tomorrow is the start of Fall as far as the weather watchers are concerned and tomorrow will feel like Fall for about twenty four hours. It will be cool, rainy and very windy. The problem is that those conditions will start this morning and Mama, Grandma and Grandpa will be in convoy from Amarillo to Bowie. I am already in Decatur. I drove over last night so I could be here when they got here. It made more sense as far as being able to help them unload once they arrived. I wish they could have come over last night as well but it was a bit too much for all of them.


Rain is in the forecast for the area but the heavy rains will stay north of us. All the area needs a thorough soaking so I can’t be disappointed about how much it will rain, I am just thankful that it is finally beginning to rain.

I stopped by the farm last night even though it was well after dark, not so much to see the land but to listen to the night sounds. It was very soothing. There is a business on the highway near enough to our property that the lights from the yard there send a good bit of light onto the high areas of our property. I do not think we will have to install too many dusk to dawn lights of our own, we will mostly use theirs.

On the way out of the driveway I ran over a large copperhead. He should still be there since I heard him pop as my back tires completed the rupture. On the way to Decatur I ran over another large snake which I thought to be another copperhead. We will have to be careful in the next several weeks as they look for places to hibernate during the coming winter weather. It scares Mama a little for Grandpa to be working the farm alone – especially with the snakes we have seen there.

I told her those worries were unfounded because we had more snakes on our property in West Virginia than we have seen here and Grandpa worked a farm there for over twenty years without incident. I was the only one who got bitten by a snake in our time there.

I am more concerned about their finances. While they were close we were able to help them out either directly or indirectly but now we will see them only a couple days per month. That is one of the reasons I would like to time my week in Decatur to be the second week of the month. That is when their money is generally at its lowest. I know it will all work out and Grandpa is going to look for a small part-time job in Bowie so they will be able to build up some savings, but until they get there I will keep a close eye on their needs.

Along with the snakes the deer were also out. On my way out of Bowie towards the farm there was a good sized doe standing in the other lane – right in the middle of the lane. I am pretty sure the eighteen wheeler barreling towards town smashed her just a moment after I passed by. I slowed down after that and used my high beams as much as possible. I was hoping to see some deer on our property but there is no good access right now.

Soon enough that will change.

0 comments:

Post a Comment