Demo Site

Monday, September 12, 2011

Seeing God work

Last week as I was traveling from Bartlesville, OK to Decatur, TX Mama and Grandpa were in church at Bible Baptist Church in Bowie. They had come down to spend some time on the farm and to look at houses for Grandma and Grandpa to rent. As Mama was talking about the need to some of the people in church, one lady volunteered that they should talk to a realtor that was locally known and well liked. They called the realtor the next morning and she showed them a mobile home that was perfect for the need. They could not wait to show me when I got to the farm later that evening. I have to agree, it is perfect. The only drawback is that the rent is a little higher than many others we looked at, however the location and amenities make it worthwhile and I think it will make a good place for Grandma and Grandpa to spend the next year as we develop the farm.


Thursday at lunchtime I met Grandpa and Mama at the tractor dealer in Decatur. He offered us the best deal we could find not only in the area but everywhere we looked. We have looked at tractors online and in person and have traveled several hundred miles to do so and have been disappointed at every turn with the price vs. quality issue. So we decided to purchase new and pay it off as quickly as possible. The New Holland/Ford dealer in Decatur offered a 55 hp tractor with a front loader, a 6’ brush hog and a 6’ box scraper at a very good price. He also offered it at no interest for 60 months. We put $2100 down because of our currently healing credit report which leaves us enough for the well to be drilled and some minor things as we move Grandma and Grandpa into the area – more or less permanently.

On the way home Grandpa and Mama stopped to look at a trailer we were planning to buy. It was fairly cheap but in need of some very minor work. I insisted on getting a temporary pass to get the trailer home and we really liked doing business with the DPS office in Decatur; no lines, no waiting and three people to wait on us. We were in and out in fifteen minutes and the cost was $5. Mama and Grandpa had the money already in hand although Mama had to stop to beef up the kitty since we spent $300 on a deposit for the rental property in Bowie.

I swung through Wichita Falls to check out an office leased by ConocoPhillips in the town. I had no idea what to expect but I had heard that we had some space leased there and I wanted to know if it was viable for expanding our shrinking capacity in the Decatur office. It turned out to be a very pleasant visit with the two people in that office but not a solution to our needs. I kept tabs on Grandpa and Mama as I tried to catch up to them. I was about forty five minutes behind but with their bathroom breaks and the ATM stop I actually got ahead of them by several minutes. I pulled over in Hedley and waited for them for about three or four minutes. Then I followed them home because the trailer did not have working lights. It turned out to be a very good purchase.

Yesterday in Children’s Church Mama was thrilled to have one of the little ones who had never uttered a word to us finally start opening up. We had a great day overall but that was the highlight of her morning.

Maggie called us on Friday night to tell us that she had settled her salvation once and for all. It is wonderful to see her in a good church and to see her get involved and continue to grow. It makes the loneliness and separation easier for both her and Aaron.

As I was getting ready for church I happened to look across the street at the fire station to see the firemen lined up on the front lawn facing the flag, heads bowed remembering the tragedy on September 11, 2001. It was a very humbling thing to see and it reminded me of how personal the loss must feel to many. We should never forget.

0 comments:

Post a Comment