Demo Site

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Rain, transportation

Here in Borger we were able to look out of our office windows yesterday afternoon and see something I have only seen briefly one other time since I have been here – rain. We all knew there was rain in the forecast but to actually see it was far better. Mama and I will see how much rain we are getting at the farm later this evening, but Amarillo and Borger can rejoice this morning at the blessing of rain. The forecast is for rain over the next several days; let’s hope that it is as accurate as yesterday and last night’s prediction.


As we were leaving for church last night Grandma and Grandpa came over so Grandpa could mow the yard for us; Grandma wanted to watch something we had recorded on TV. Mama had called to tell him about the rain that was coming and as it turned out, it was a good thing he did come. It rained through the night. Rain will continue through the day today and into this evening, but the work is done and the timing could not have been better.

If it rains at the farm the timing will be pretty good also, since the tractor will be scheduled for delivery late next week. Knocking down the overgrowth will give new grass a chance to grow. We may actually see some green on the ground rather than a dead tan-ish brown. It is encouraging to see prayers answered and to be able to measure progress, or in this case, growth.

With my company transportation being taken from me, I am looking at options for transportation in my commute to work. I do not like the idea of going back to driving the Breeze, but the only other options are the little van and the Lincoln. I am not as enamored with the Lincoln as Maggie and Victoria are so there is little chance of me driving it in my round trips to Borger. The little van is Mama’s baby, so I am back to square one.

I have toyed with the idea of purchasing another vehicle but there is very little appeal in that idea because of the funds it sucks out of our limited resources. Those same funds could be used to grow a harvest which would produce an income from which I could then purchase another vehicle. The problem is that the need is more immediate than would be accomplished through the sale of produced goods. So you can see where this is heading. Victoria would be relieved for me to take over the Breeze for now and Chase is talking about taking it to New Jersey rather than Grandpa’s truck, which is in need of some repairs. So even it’s use to me is short-lived.

With the loss of the company truck also came the loss of reimbursement for mileage when using my personal vehicle while on company business – if I take Mama with me. My former boss kind of winked at the policy that my current boss is enforcing with some attention from his boss. I told my boss that I would rather have Mama with me and lose the money than to travel without her during times when it makes sense for her to be with me. Overall it will be a small loss, but it totals up to a substantial loss of some really nice perks.

Next weekend will be the big move. I am not sure what will follow but there is noticeable momentum carrying us toward Bowie. I was told only Monday by one of the HSE people here in the Borger office that the rumor was that I was to be moving to the Decatur office. My only response was the old proverbial expression, “From your lips to God’s ears.”

Not that their ideas make a bit of difference. God really is in control.

0 comments:

Post a Comment