Demo Site

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Electronic connections, dreams, rivalries, teamwork

I got a call from Becky last night as we were getting ready to leave for church. She has her cell phone back and she was thrilled. She never ceases to amaze me; what she gets into and then out of, what she makes it through unscathed, is beyond imagination. She will be released from her contract with the National Guard later this month. It will be a simple discharge, “Failure to Adapt”; no honor but no dishonor in the release – simply “you are free to go home.” She is giddy with the idea. I am not sure if there are lessons learned for her in the episode, but I am happy for her…especially with the return of the cell phone. -


I drove the company truck into the driveway last night with the fuel level alarm light on. I was curious to see how low I could get the tank without running out of gas. I was pretty sure I would get to the gas station this morning – and I did, not difficult in Amarillo where there seems to be a gas station every several blocks. The bad part was that, through the night, I had multiple dreams about running out of gas; strange how your mind works. Like one missionary wife said recently, she prays and leaves things in God’s hands but then feels free to help Him worry about it.

I will be going to Bartlesville, OK next week for some training so I will get to see the place where it all started for Phillips Petroleum many decades ago. I do not think I will take a lot of time for sight seeing – not like there is much to see there besides some Phillips 66 memorabilia but I will be passing through pretty quickly. It will be an overnight stay and then on to Decatur. The assistant pastor at our church warned me to spend as little time in Oklahoma as possible – it is part of an old rivalry from his high school days. Pastor shut him down when he warned, “Get back to Texas as fast as you can. Don’t even eat there!”

It was all in good fun. Everywhere we have lived there has been a sense of pride in the state and in the community and that is as it should be. I have to confess that other than West Virginia I have not allowed myself to adopt such a pride. One day I will have to apologize to Missouri and New Jersey but for now Mama and I will try to sink some deep roots here – in Texas. Besides much of the pride centered on some sports focus, whether it was high school, collegiate or professional and that has never been a focal point of my life.

The teamwork in moving toward getting the farm going is proving challenging but that is to be expected. Grandpa has never been the best communicator and relaying his thoughts through Grandma is problematic at best. We will work it out soon enough if we learn to speak freely and openly. I have never put overbearing restrictions on communication in our home – only that it be respectful, well thought out if possible, but respectful at a minimum.

We’re all human so we have each violated that requisite at times, but it’s nice to have rules in place. It gives the semblance of order. Sometimes we worry so much about tact that the message is lost. Obviously that is not productive communication and Mama learned years ago that I am pretty poor at picking up on hints so it is better to just say what needs to be said. With what we are risking and the potential gain, I hope Grandpa and I learn to be honest with each other; as honest as two people can be, at least. Our pastor has taught the congregation to say, “Teamwork makes the dream work!” That thought will apply to our efforts especially well.

Maggie is pretty thrilled about the church she is becoming a part is. She is in Gulf Breeze, Florida with a friend (Liz) from church whose husband is out on assignment also. This friend’s family lives there and she goes there often when he husband is out of town. They stopped to visit Cori and the kids on their way down and Grant fell in love with Liz.

Family and friends close by, that’s a good thing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment